Multiple consciousness' overlap?

Yes but there are multiple consciousness types happening every second and they are all overlapped. You virtually hear and see and think simultaneously in a concert symphony of types of consciousness.

I just remembered one more puzzle for the pundits that try to negate the brain having much to do with anything. The image on our retina is inversed and yet we percieve it as the right way up because of other sensory inputs. It is is pretty clear that what we think up and down and positional in our awareness if a construct made somehow in the brain. We have multiple functions going at once creating a grand illusion of self and things that belong to self.

Every living being has one mind (consciousness) only. One mind is one individual.

Two minds cannot be one individual. Conjoined twins are always two individuals, never one. This is true to all living beings and all species.

One mind knows one thing at a time, focuses on one thing at a time, and interact with one thing at a time.

But lifespan of the mind is extremely short. So, in a blink of an eye, the mind has lived several trillion times (or birth-death moments). That means the mind can detect an object millions of times among other objects, which the mind also detects. ‘Detect’ means comes into contact. That is why one seems to be conscious about the whole surroundings.

Mind is not the self. The self is a perceived reality. I.e., my body is my self - I eat, I walk, I talk, I see, I feel, etc. When one puts ‘I’ in something, one feels the self.

In Orthodox Theravāda, we do not hear and see at the same time; not even through both eyes at the same time. The next time you go to the eye doctor, you will know that both eyes see better than each eye singly tested. That is because your mind is seeing them using the data from both eyes. The same is true with IMAX 3D LED shutter glasses. The whole mechanics of the 3D vision is based on taking a left and right view separately! This reality at the eye doctor’s and at the IMAX theatre should confirm to you this truth.

1 Like

Yes so where is that dual eye image composed and constructed. It should be in the brain. Where is the observer mind is a harder question?

In orthodox Theravāda, we believe in the heart center as the location where the mind-door process takes place. As for the “observer,” that cannot be spoken of. There is only eye-door consciousness for that vīthi and mind-door consciousness for that rūpārammaṇa. After that, there is a mind-door vīthi to process the dhammarammaṇa as paññatti to work with the concept from the previous rūpārammaṇa. It is five khandhas arising and passing. The observer is an illusion.

1 Like

A post was merged into an existing topic: Heart base - or brain