Please, help - “Live” List of Pali Commentaries’ English Translations

The version of Buddhist legends on his website is similar as well.
I hope to add Buddhist Legends and JatakaA english to tpp so that multiple word search can be done with these books. If you have a kindle, the searching is awesome. I hope to duplicate that in tpp.
The new version of TPP will have this for sutta and vinaya sets.

1 Like

Yes, ven. Anandajoti revised Buddhist Legends about 7 years ago. Jatakas were finished last year.

If you’d appreciate to have the list updated here, I can do it as soon as I get the permission to edit my post. :upside_down_face: Now I do not have a permission to edit my post, please, look into it carefully and let me know what should I do.

2 Likes

Dear Dhamma friends,
I have added the information on the anthology of Jatakas by Ken and Visakha Kawasaki. This three-volumed collection contains about a half of all Jatakas in concise form. All three volumes are available in hardcover form as well as in Kindle format.

Vol.1 Amazon.com: Jataka Tales of the Buddha - Volume I (Jataka Tales of the Buddha - An Anthology Vol. I - III): 9781681723105: Kawasaki, Ken, Kawasaki, Visakha: Books
Vol.2 https://amzn.to/3HSgcxZ
Vol.3 Amazon.com: Jataka Tales of the Buddha - Volume III (Jataka Tales of the Buddha - An Anthology Vol. I - III): 9781681723129: Kawasaki, Ken, Kawasaki, Visakha: Books

Amazon says they were published in 2020, but the books actually mention they are from 2018.

1 Like

I don’t know if it is relevant but I was given the Pūjāvaliya by a man I don’t know. It is an ancient Sinhalese classic that gives the stories of the donations surrounding the Bodhisatta. It is considered Theravāda. Unfortunately I only have one of two volumes, and when I check for it online I don’t see any sign of an English Translation like the one I have.

3 Likes

Thank you very much for providing this mention. This list is however a list of Pāḷi texts that are mentioned in the Chaṭṭha Saṅgāyanā Tipiṭaka Software. Pūjāvaliya is neither a Pali text nor is it mentioned in the Chaṭṭha Saṅgāyanā Tipiṭaka Software. It would be great if you could read the book you have, make short notes (up to 10% of the book’s text) and share your notes with us in a dedicated article here in the forum.

Thank you again. :sun_with_face:

2 Likes

Papañcasūdanī Commentary to the Majjhimanikāya translated by N.A. Jayawickrama and edited by Toshiichi Endo was recently made available as a free PDF download.

I am not very familiar with the commentaries literature or the structure/names, but the book seems to contain MN-a 1, 2, and 3. MN-a 2 and 3 are in the “Need” list.

Posted on the SuttaCentral forum, before recalling this forum.

2 Likes

Thank you. Do you have the link, or could you upload it here?

1 Like

I tried to provide a link, but an error message appeared stating that links are not permitted. When I tried to upload the PDF, an error message informed me that new users cannot upload files.

Replace the “_” with “.”
www_buddhism_hku_hk/publication-post/papancasudani-commentary/

1 Like

I’ve just increased your trust level so hopefully you can upload now provided the file size is not too big.

1 Like

Still not permitted to link or upload.

1 Like

try now… :slight_smile:

1 Like

found it :pray:

Papancas¯udan¯i-Commentary-to-the-Majjhimanik¯aya.pdf (1.0 MB)

2 Likes

I found another interesting work at the same site
The-Buddha-in-the-Pali-EL.pdf (2.1 MB)

1 Like

I would like to edit the post but it doesn’t work. I do not see there the button to edit. Can someone add there the new book for me, please? @bksubhuti

The MNA 001,002,003 from N.A. Jayawikrama and Toshiichi Endo is now available in archive.org, together with the other books, at the one link that is mentioned at the top of this post.

Under this:

I would like to add this:

MN-a 1,2,3.Papañcasūdanī, Commentary to the Majjhima Nikāya—N.A. Jayawikrama, Toshiichi Endo, HongKong-2022 (212p).pdf

2 Likes

Dear Dhamma friends,
Finally, major edits are done.

• Several books did not have the correct name. Corrected.
  • Added publishing year wherever possible, up to my abilities. Sometimes it is not written in the book, so I had to search it online or at least provide the year when my document was last modified (in rare cases).
  • Nina Van Gorkom’s draft of Paramatthamanjusa (Visuddhimagga Tika) is added after I have switched her Velthuis Pali into the proper Pali font
  • Abhidhammatthasangaha Tika translation by R.P. Wijeratne and R. Gethin is now available to me, hence it is updated
  • grammatical corrections
  • duplicates and unrelated additional details are removed; partial texts are removed if a complete text is also included & available
  • links are embedded in the text to safe space
  • Thupavamsa has the first edition for free (from archive.org) and its second edition is paid. The information is properly updated in the list.
  • And quite a few more minor mistakes as well are corrected.
  • My present attempts to work on MNA and DNA are also mentioned in the Planned section.

The files in the archive.org link are also updated.

2 Likes

Dear Bhante,

I hope this contributes a little bit to your very precious list. I translated some aṭṭhakathā and ṭīkās of single Suttas, and some of them are available for free downloading, without subscription. For instance, the translation of the commentaries of the Nakulapitāsutta. I can’t include links here, but it can be easily found through the DOI: 10.18573/alt.31.

mettāya,

Giuliano

2 Likes

Thank you for joining Giuliano! I’ve uploaded your translation here, hope that is ok.

31-1-42-1-10-20181026.pdf (557.7 KB)

2 Likes

A post was split to a new topic: Manobhāvanīyā : different translations

Please see new updates to Saṃyutta Nikāya Commentary.

One is an anthology from SN 18, SN 22, and SN 56. I am thankful for the information to the author Mr. Son Tu and our friend RobertK.

Likewise I am thankful to Giuliano Giustarini for allowing me to add his translation of Commentary & Subcommentary of SN 22.1 Nakulapitā Sutta.

Both documents are available also in the archive.org link.

3 Likes