Introduce yourself

Here is a place where you can introduce yourself.
If you were a monk or currently a monk, say so.
How many years have you been into Classical Theravada?
Where are you from?
How did you hear about this group?
etc.

This was created for new members such as @Trekmentor

OK. Here I go…

I am Kamal Wickramanayake from Sri Lanka. I came across this forum while searching the Internet a few months ago. It’s only recently I thought of signing up and see if I could be helpful to the others and also learn from others.

I am not a monk and haven’t been a monk before.

My Pali literacy is not the best, but I can read to some extent. It has been more than 20 years since I had an increased interest towards Buddhism. But it has been about 10 years since I started investigating Pali Canon. I have mostly read the Sinhala language translation.

I go with all the three baskets of Pali Canon and commentaries. I don’t understand everything, but the Pali Canon and commentaries haven’t failed me so far.

I am all for Theravada and wouldn’t dance to the tune of jokers like those at dhammawheel dot com. What good is there to use the name but enforce the rules of others (not Lord Buddha)?

I do what I can to protect Theravada. I am of my own. I try my best to support the followers. I also do things to deter the work of those who go against Theravada but claim to be the followers of Lord Buddha. Some don’t like it but I take effort to keep myself aligned with Lord Buddha’s teaching.

3 Likes

Welcome to the group. It is perfectly fine to voice your opinion against jokes.
I hope you can find some topics that interest you. You seem to be a good fit with your description.
Brows around and see if any topics are interesting to you.

1 Like

My name is Bhante Subhūti and I am the co-founder of this Classical Theravada website with @RobertK with the wonderful technical help of @kokoye2007 . I am a monk and I have been following Classical Theravāda for over 20 years. I have spent a great deal of my monk life at Pa-Auk and Na-Uyana as a meditator and now I’m starting to learn pariyatti at IIT.

I have helped make few Buddhist applications with the help of others.
Tipitaka Pali Reader (android, windows, ios, mac, linux)
Buddhist Sun (android and ios only)
Tipitaka Pali Projector (not supported anymore). (windows, mac and Linux snap)
My main personal website is below:

2 Likes

Hi, I am a monk, 2 vassa now.

Was into Theravada/Buddhism since I was 14… about 20 years ago, but anyway, I ordained in a monastery focusing on EBT.

Now in Na Uyana until next May. Enjoying the full classical theravada learning style.

I am from Malaysia, and I know this via Ṭhānuttamo Anāgārika.

I am learning Pāḷi now with basically all the english books I can find (7 practise books together), and it would be cool to use it to read the commentaries and subcommentaries.

2 Likes

Dear Venerable Paññādhammika,
thank you for joining and thanks to Ṭhānuttamo for introducing us. It is good to know they are teaching the classical Theravada at Na Uyana. Please post anything of interest.
with respect
Robert

2 Likes

@paññdhammika Welcome to Classical Theravāda. We hope you can add to the discussion. Tipitaka Pali Reader has a special dictionary for reading the commentaries called the PEU. I hope you can read the commentaries with it. It also helps if you read the sutta footnotes to get more context while reading the original Pāḷi.
@RobertK , Na-uyana is a Classical Theravada (as most vinaya places are in Theravāda countries) place. Although some westerners there might be sharing their own “views” on dhamma. However, it is a commentary place… and if the monks have right attitudes… (similar to ven paññādhammika), then they can learn correctly from a place that has a classical theravada waves.

3 Likes

Sukhi hontu.

I am new here.
Got invitation to this group from @RobertK in 2022 :see_no_evil:

2 Likes

Thank you for joining. :pray:

Please look around and add comments to any threads or start new topics.

1 Like

Is it any sub forum for Sutta?

1 Like

Probably this one will suit:Textual Scholarship - Classical Theravāda
:slight_smile:

1 Like

Welcome to the group!

1 Like

Hello.

I’m a 5 precept type from the USA. I push toward 8 but find it stressful.

I’m coming over from SuttaCentral, hoping to find a congenial and “practice oriented” atmosphere for discussions.

AK

1 Like

Welcome Agita!
What is ‘practice’ as you see it?

I will think about an answer for your question.

In the mean time, what I wrote above concerned more the “atmosphere” than the “practice” and the context can be found here

Specifically this one here

@Agita, welcome to the group. It is best to try to keep this topic related to yourself.
If you’d like to share writings, you can copy the content those writings without links and create a fresh new topic in the appropriate categories found on this website.
We hope you are one who likes Classical Theravada and have read the FAQ carefully.

I had read the FAQ. If my post conveys a lack of care, feel free to point that out.

With respect to the question posed to me by your colleague, I had hoped my answer would convey my appreciation and intention to be heedful to the following instruction;

“… you should all come together and recite in concert, without disputing, those things I have taught you.”

Does “Classical Theravada” have a view on that sentiment?

It is best to put forth questions as new topics or find a topic that exists. There was no problem with your post. However, I consolidated the links into a single post for you. Plus used the link button for making a hyperlink-link-text item instead of a big display.