Wind Element as Motion Inferential?

A reply and new topic from the previous from discussion on water element.
I think that wind element is also confused as “motion” which is also inferred.
There is only a force: pushing, pulling and supporting. This causes apparent motion which is also inferred. I have not heard many people talk about this. I will double check with my teachers and maybe write an article on it. But for sure, kalapas do not move. There is a force that keeps them together, and a force that causes a new position for the next gen kalapa or a new first gen kalapa other causes to arise in that new position. It gets complex when you figure out all 24 patthana which I only know a small spec of knowledge of.

4 Likes

In the sub-commentaries, Vāyo is defined as “the force that causes a rupa kalapa to be arisen in another place.”

Motion (calana) = Arising in another place (desantara uppatti)
Force/push (Vāyo) = The cause for arising in another place (desantara uppatti hetu)

Abhidhammāvatāra-purāṇaṭīkā
vāyanato ti samudīraṇato, desantaruppattihetubhāvena bhūtasaṅghāṭassa pāpanatoti attho.

vitthambhanalakkhaṇā ti pūraṇalakkhaṇā. samudīraṇarasā ti kampanarasā. abhinīhāro bhūtattayassa desantaruppattihetubhāvo, nīharaṇaṃ vā bījato aṅkurādikassa viya.

Abhidhammatthasaṅgaha-ṭīkā
Vāyati desantaruppattihetubhāvena bhūtasaṅghātaṃ pāpetīti vāyo .

Visuddhimagga-mahāṭīkā
vāyatī ti samīreti, desantaruppattihetubhāvena bhūtasaṅghātaṃ gametīti attho.

Vibhaṅga-anuṭīkā
samudīraṇaṃ allaparisosanaṃ, bhūtasaṅghātassa desantaruppattihetubhāvo vā.

Desantaruppattiyeva cettha calanaṃ uppannadesato kesaggamattampi dhammānaṃ saṅkamanābhāvato. Itarathā nesaṃ abyāpārakatā, khaṇikatā ca na siyā. desantaruppattihetubhāvoti ca yathā attanā sahajarūpāni heṭṭhimajavanasamuṭṭhitarūpehi patiṭṭhitaṭṭhānato aññattha uppajjanti, evaṃ tehi saha tattha uppattiyevāti daṭṭhabbaṃ, ettha pana cittaje calite taṃsambandhena itarampi calati nadīsote pakkhittasukkhagomayapiṇḍaṃ viya.

Abhidhammatthasaṅgaha-ṭīkā
desantaruppattiyeva cettha calanaṃ uppannadesato kesaggamattampi dhammānaṃ calanābhāvato, itarathā dhammānaṃ abyāpāratā, khaṇikatā ca na siyā. Kathaṃ panassa sahajarūpānaṃ desantaruppattiyā hetubhāvoti? Yathā attanā sahajarūpāni heṭṭhimajavanādisamuṭṭhitarūpehi patiṭṭhitaṭṭhānato aññattha uppajjanti, evaṃ tehi saha tattha uppattiyevassa desantaruppattihetubhāvoti daṭṭhabbaṃ.

5 Likes

Well, I guess I don’t need to ask, and we have a definitive answer.

Somewhere in the Visuddhimagga tika it notes that momentary rupas that are adjacent to the just fallen away rupas give the appearance of movement.

desantarupatti is the term.

1 Like

@Mahavihara, Can you translate your pali quotes?

2 Likes