What were the guḷhaganthaṃ?

In the Visuddhimagga and commentaries there is brief mention of guḷhaganthaṃ (secret texts). Is there any information on what these might have been? I assume they were meditation manuals.

1 Like

the word is in the Tipitaka as well.
It means ‘profound’ or hidden depending on context
In the Dhammasangani, first book of the Abhdidhamma it has this phrase:

Pariyattiṃ pana guḷhaganthaṃ aññesaṃ akathetukāmassa dhammamacchariyaṃ nāma hoti

Guḷhaganthaṃ are profound texts (such as those dealing with sunnata (voidness). Dhammamacchariyaṃ is stinginess with regard to Dhamma.

And speaks about the one who is stingy to teach/share the profound the texts .

‘>The Atthasalini (Commentary) explains:
As regards doctrine,’ i.e., doctrine of learning and of intuition. Of these, Ariyan disciples are not mean as regards
> > doctrine to be intuited; they desire that intuition for the world, including devas, of doctrines they themselves have
intuited. Their desire is, ‘ May others come to know that
intuition.’
But ‘ meanness as regards doctrine ’ occurs only
in respect of textual doctrine. A person endowed with it wishes not to let another know what secret text or cornmentarial tradition he may know. But he who does not impart
it, out of regard for the doctrine, by taking the person into account, or out of regard for the person by taking the doctrine
into account, is not mean as regards the doctrine. In the
former case the person so considered is frivolous; sometimes
it is a recluse, sometimes a brahmin [375], sometimes a Jain. Indeed, the bhikkhu who thinks, * This person breaks the
traditional text, the abstruse, subtle, special doctrine, and will confuse it,’ and imparts it not, acts out of regard for the
doctrine by taking the person into account.

The translation 'secret text" is a poor choice by the translator in this context I think.

The overall impart is that the wise will desire to share the profound Dhamma teachings whereas the stingy will not.
However in some case such as dealing with a fool or one commited to a wrong sect the wise may not share as they know the fool will only confuse it (and pass it onto others in a confused way possibly even leading to decline of the teaching).

3 Likes