Viññāṇa. Consciousness

I have been struggling to understand Vinnana or to have a fair bit of an idea how it works. Can a noble person come to my rescue with many examples please. :pray:t4::pray::pray:t4:

1 Like

I’m no “noble person”, no social status here. But this I can share…

The authoritative explanation was given by the Buddha in many Suttas such as Anattalakkhana Sutta, Adittapariyaya Sutta, Mahatanhasankhaya Sutta, etc.

Another excellent detailed explanation given in Visuddhimagga - chapter on Five Aggregates. By reading this chapter, you can understand the characteristic of Rupa, Vedanā, Saññā, Saṅkhāra and Viññāṇa…and how to differentiate them in concise way.

Another good explanation is given in Abhidhammattha Sangaha. Can read Bhante Narada Thera’s translation of it, available free on internet.

In Suttanta explanation, there are in total six consciousnesses: eye consciousness (Cakkhu Viññāṇa), ear consciousness (Sota Viññāṇa), nose consciousness (ghana Viññāṇa), tongue consciousness (Jivha Viññāṇa), body consciousness (Kaya Viññāṇa), mind consciousness (Mano Viññāṇa).

In Abhidhamma explanation, there are in total 89 consciousnesses, which can be grouped into the previous six consciousnesses categories. These 89 consciousnesses, each with particular function(s), arise and cease continuously one after another, forming what Arahant Sariputta Thera called “Stream of consciousness”.

2 Likes

In this classical topic of viññāṇa, you will find your answer to the meaning of viññāṇa.

This “puredhamma” website isn’t Classical Theravada. It is a heretical sectarian understanding by Waharaka sect in Sri Lanka.

They believe Antarabhava and soul-like being leaving body after death.

Here’s an analysis by Ven Dhammanando, who is well versed in Classical Theravada and related thought.
https://www.dhammawheel.com/viewtopic.php?p=421520#p421520

1 Like

from page 59 on there are many details about citta/viññāṇa.