Topics in Theravada Buddhism | International Institute of Theravada

1st lecture| 2022_05_12 | 𝟐𝟓𝟔𝟔 th Vesākha Buddha Puṇṇamī

This lecture was delivered by venerable Maggavihari who is well versed in the Theravada fundamentals.

What do you think about his summarizations?

2 Likes

I wonder why they are using B. Sujato’s translations? Sometimes I find these translations a little too abbreviated.
For example one passage describing wrong view in this sutta is translated as “The one who acts does nothing wrong when they punish, mutilate, torture, aggrieve, oppress, intimidate, or when they encourage others to do the same. They do nothing wrong when they kill, steal, break into houses, plunder wealth, steal from isolated buildings, commit highway robbery, commit adultery, and lie.”
Instead of “they kill” Bhikkhu Bodhi’s translation reads " when one kills living beings." In the first one could mistakenly think he is referring only to killing humans but in the other it is clear that the Buddha is referring to the taking of any and all forms of life.
A seemingly small difference between the two but I prefer more words when they help refine and make clear the specifics of the meaning.

2 Likes

Hi Kilaya,

Actually it surprised me as well. It is not his choice of a simple English translation that surprised me, but the lecturer’s liberty in choosing whatever translation in English without discriminating the translator’ attitude about Theravada.

PS: I apologize that I have posted a wrong link above. This was not a lecture on Theravada fundamentals by Venerable Maggavihari but an explanation of Apannaka sutta by Venerable Vijitananda.

1 Like