Refuting wrong doctrines?

Should we point out the errors others make with regard to Dhamma?
Would it be better to hold our counsel?
After all the Buddha noted in about judging:

Easy to See Are Others’ Faults
“> Easily seen are others’ faults, hard indeed to see are one’s own.
Like chaff one winnows others’ faults,

but one’s own (faults) one hides,

as a crafty fowler conceals himself by camouflage.” (Dhammapada v 252)

Defilements Multiply in Fault-finders
He who sees others’ faults, and is ever irritable —

the defilements of such a one multiply.

He is far from the destruction of defilements.” (Dhammapada v 25

1 Like

on the other hand there are suttas like this:
https://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitak … .than.html

He should be told, 'Don’t say that. You shouldn’t speak in that way. Don’t misrepresent the Blessed One, for it’s not right to misrepresent the Blessed One, and the Blessed One wouldn’t say that. It’s impossible, there is no way that

https://suttacentral.net/dn16/en/sujato
https://suttacentral.net/sn51.10/en/sujato?lang=en&layout=plain&reference=none&notes=sidenotes&highlight=false&script=latin

‘Wicked One, I will not become fully extinguished until I have monk disciples who are competent, educated, assured, learned, have memorized the teachings, and practice in line with the teachings. Not until they practice properly, living in line with the teaching. Not until they’ve learned their tradition, and explain, teach, assert, establish, disclose, analyze, and make it clear. Not until they can legitimately and completely refute the doctrines of others that come up, and teach with a demonstrable basis.’
‘na tāvāha
ṁ, pāpima, parinibbāyissāmi, yāva me bhikkhū na sāvakā bhavissanti viyattā vinītā visāradā bahussutā dhammadharā dhammānudhammappa ṭipannā sāmīcippa ṭipannā anudhammacārino, saka ṁ ācariyaka ṁ uggahetvā ācikkhissanti desessanti paññapessanti pa ṭṭhapessanti vivarissanti vibhajissanti uttānīkarissanti, uppanna ṁ parappavāda ṁ sahadhammena suniggahita ṁ niggahetvā sappā ṭihāriya ṁ dhamma ṁ desessantī’ti.

, I shall not become fully extinguished until I have nun disciples who are competent, educated, assured, learned

Wicked One, I shall not become fully extinguished until I have layman disciples …and laywoman disciples who are competent, educated, assured, learned …’ …

AN 1.130:“Mendicants, those mendicants who explain what is not the teaching as the teaching are acting for the hurt and unhappiness of the people, for the harm, hurt, and suffering of gods and humans. They create much wickedness and make the true teaching disappear.” “Ye te, bhikkhave, bhikkhū adhammaṁ dhammoti dīpenti te, bhikkhave, bhikkhū bahujanaahitāya paṭipannā bahujanaasukhāya, bahuno janassa anatthāya ahitāya dukkhāya devamanussānaṁ. Bahuñca te, bhikkhave, bhikkhū apuññaṁ pasavanti, te cimaṁ saddhammaṁ antaradhāpentī”t

i.

AN 1.140: “Mendicants, those mendicants who explain what is not the teaching as not the teaching are acting for the welfare and happiness of the people, for the benefit, welfare, and happiness of gods and humans.They create much merit and make the true teaching continue.”

1 Like

AN 142–149
“Those mendicants who explain what is not found in the monastic law as not found in the monastic law … what is found in the monastic law as found in the monastic law … what was not spoken and stated by the Realized One as not spoken and stated by the Realized One … what was spoken and stated by the Realized One as spoken and stated by the Realized One … what was not practiced by the Realized One as not practiced by the Realized One … what was practiced by the Realized One as practiced by the Realized One … what was not prescribed by the Realized One as not prescribed by the Realized One … what was prescribed by the Realized One as prescribed by the Realized One …“Ye te, bhikkhave, bhikkhū avinayaṁ avinayoti dīpenti …pe… vinayaṁ vinayoti dīpenti …pe… abhāsitaṁ alapitaṁ tathāgatena abhāsitaṁ alapitaṁ tathāgatenāti dīpenti …pe… bhāsitaṁ lapitaṁ tathāgatena bhāsitaṁ lapitaṁ tathāgatenāti dīpenti …pe… anāciṇṇaṁ tathāgatena anāciṇṇaṁ tathāgatenāti dīpenti …pe… āciṇṇaṁ tathāgatena āciṇṇaṁ tathāgatenāti dīpenti …pe… apaññattaṁ tathāgatena apaññattaṁ tathāgatenāti dīpenti …pe… paññattaṁ tathāgatena paññattaṁ tathāgatenāti dīpenti;are acting for the welfare and happiness of the people, for the benefit, welfare, and happiness of gods and humans. te, bhikkhave, bhikkhū bahujanahitāya paṭipannā bahujanasukhāya, bahuno janassa atthāya hitāya sukhāya devamanussānaṁ.They create much merit and make the true teaching continue.”Bahuñca te, bhikkhave, bhikkhū puññaṁ pasavanti, te cimaṁ saddhammaṁ ṭhapentī”ti.

AN 2.23:
“Mendicants, these two misrepresent the Realized One.“Dveme, bhikkhave, tathāgataṁ abbhācikkhanti.What two?Katame dve?One who explains what was not spoken by the Realized One as spoken by him. And one who explains what was spoken by the Realized One as not spoken by him.Yo ca abhāsitaṁ alapitaṁ tathāgatena bhāsitaṁ lapitaṁ tathāgatenāti dīpeti, yo ca bhāsitaṁ lapitaṁ tathāgatena abhāsitaṁ alapitaṁ tathāgatenāti dīpeti.These two misrepresent the Realized One.Ime kho, bhikkhave, dve tathāgataṁ abbhācikkhantīti.

These two don’t misrepresent the Realized One.Dveme, bhikkhave, tathāgataṁ nābbhācikkhanti.What two?Katame dve?One who explains what was not spoken by the Realized One as not spoken by him. And one who explains what was spoken by the Realized One as spoken by him.Yo ca abhāsitaṁ alapitaṁ tathāgatena abhāsitaṁ alapitaṁ tathāgatenāti dīpeti, yo ca bhāsitaṁ lapitaṁ tathāgatena bhāsitaṁ lapitaṁ tathāgatenāti dīpeti.These two don’t misrepresent the Realized One.”Ime kho, bhikkhave, dve tathāgataṁ nābbhācikkhantī”ti

DN 29:. SuttaCentral
Thy teacher is not supremely enlightened; his Norm is badly set forth, badly imparted, ineffectual for guidance, not conducive to peace, not imparted by one supremely enlightened.

Thou in that doctrine hast not mastered the lesser corollaries that follow from the larger doctrine, nor acquired correct conduct, nor walkest thou according to those corollaries, but thou dost perpetually evade that doctrine.’

Thus, Cunda, both that teacher and that doctrine are shown blameworthy, but the disciple is praiseworthy.

Now he who should say to such a disciple: ‘Come, your reverence, practise even according to the doctrine taught and declared by your teacher!’

Both he who instigates, and he who is instigated, and he too who, being instigated, practises accordingly,—they all of them generate much demerit.

And why?

Because their doctrine and discipline are badly set forth, badly imparted, ineffectual for guidance, not conducive to peace, not imparted by one supremely enlightened.

But consider, Cunda, where, the teacher not being supremely enlightened, and the doctrine being badly set forth, badly imparted, ineffectual for guidance, not conducive to peace, not imparted by one supremely enlightened, the disciple abides in that doctrine, practising the lesser corollaries following on the larger doctrine, acquiring correct conduct and, walking according to the precepts, perpetually conforms to that doctrine.

To him one might say: ‘Friend, thou hast been unlucky [in thy teacher], and in thy opportunity; thy teacher is not supremely enlightened; thy doctrine is badly set forth, badly imparted, ineffectual for guidance, not conducive to peace, not imparted by one supremely enlightened; and thou abide in that doctrine, practising the lesser corollaries following on the larger doctrine, acquiring correct conduct and, walking according to the precepts, perpetually conformest to that doctrine.’

By these words, Cunda, teacher and doctrine and disciple are all blameworthy.

And he who should say: ‘Verily his reverence mastering the system will carry it to a successful end!’ -

He thus commending and he who is commended and he who, thus commended, redoubles the energy he puts forth,—all they generate much demerit.

And why?

Because their doctrine and discipline have been badly set forth, badly imparted, ineffectual for guidance, not conducive to peace, not imparted by one supremely enlightened.

1 Like

People have to be willing to accept when they are in error and open to changing their mind. The majority of people aren’t like that.

1 Like

I think it depends on the relationship. If I am working with a teacher (or spiritual friends), the whole point as far as I’m concerned is for them to point out faults. But in those cases there is a commitment to an understood common purpose and a supportive space.

On the other hand, in a discussion on an internet forum, there may be no such commitment. The purpose is generally to share information and opinions. In that case it’s better to more circumspect in offering criticism, otherwise it will come over as overbearing and serve no purpose, since it will simply be ignored. Of course, I’m speaking in general. Online conversations can be deep and meaningful. But only when trust and understanding has already been established.

2 Likes

Relationship and commitment, understanding and trust are important.

Often these exchanges of opinions are just like the five blind men and the elephant, each taking hold of one part of the elephant and declaring knowledge about what an elephant is like. A thicket of views and opinions giving rise to arguments and a milling about in samsara like cattle in a pen unable to escape.

A problem there nearly always has an underlying tendency with regards to self.

If one offers an entirely correct advice, that advice might be unpalatable because it conflicts with a previous judgement that is clung to. A result is that the misery of I-making arises and one is faced with the abyss of no-self. The deeply ingrained habit of ignoring asserts itself and the reaction arises. Yet, the seed has been planted. There is no value in ‘beating a dead horse’. Having pointed out the misunderstanding (calmly and underpinned with kind intent), back off and leave the unfolding to kamma.
When someone offers unsolicited advice, cultivate the brahmaviharas. It’s a great opportunity to do so.

On cetiyita - translated by Horner as “being willed”.
Milinda Panha page 84-85

I think if there is no attempt to correct wrong teachings those teachings may grow and even come to supercede the true Dhamma.
Anyone who follows the exponents of those wrong ideas and practices is following the teacher down a deep hole…

Conversely someone who explains the Dhamma correctly can help themselves and the people who listen to them…and they help the true Dhamma to prosper.

I shall not become fully extinguished until I have Monk disciples… Nun disciples.. layman disciples …and laywoman disciples who are competent, educated, assured, learned…Not until they’ve learned their tradition, and explain, teach, assert, establish, disclose, analyze, and make it clear. Not until they can legitimately and completely refute the doctrines of others that come up, and teach with a demonstrable basis.’

1 Like