Need help in Some references

so i was reading Dana: the practice of Giving.
https://www.accesstoinsight.org/lib/authors/various/wheel367.html

I am not able to understand some refrences they have used. can somebody explain from where they have taken this lines.

Once the Buddha said that if people only knew the value of giving as he does, they would not take a single meal without sharing their food with others (It.p,18).

1 Like

It is the Itivuttakapāḷi, 3rd Chapter, 6th Sutta called
Dāna Sutta
It is a very famous quote.

Here is a gpt+ translation from a pāḷi translator I trained (maybe some errors)

6. Dānasutta

26. vuttañhetaṃ bhagavatā, vuttamarahatāti me sutaṃ
6. In the Discourse on Giving (Dānasutta), it has been said by the Blessed One, declared by the Worthy One; thus have I heard.

–"evañce, bhikkhave, sattā jāneyyuṃ dānasaṃvibhāgassa vipākaṃ yathāhaṃ jānāmi, na adatvā bhuñjeyyuṃ, na ca nesaṃ maccheramalaṃ cittaṃ pariyādāya tiṭṭheyya.
– "If, monks, beings knew the result of sharing and generosity as I know it, they would not eat without having given, nor would the stain of stinginess overcome their minds.

yopi nesaṃ assa carimo ālopo carimaṃ kabaḷaṃ, tatopi na asaṃvibhajitvā bhuñjeyyuṃ, sace nesaṃ paṭiggāhakā assu.
Even if it were their last morsel, their last bite of food, they would not enjoy their food without having shared it, if there were someone to receive it.

yasmā ca kho, bhikkhave, sattā na evaṃ jānanti dānasaṃvibhāgassa vipākaṃ yathāhaṃ jānāmi, tasmā adatvā bhuñjanti, maccheramalañca nesaṃ cittaṃ pariyādāya tiṭṭhatī"ti.
Since, monks, beings do not know, as I do, the result of sharing and generosity, they eat without having given, and the stain of stinginess overcomes their minds."

etamatthaṃ bhagavā avoca. tatthetaṃ iti vuccati –
The Blessed One spoke this matter. Therefore, it is said –

“evaṃ ce sattā jāneyyuṃ, yathāvuttaṃ mahesinā,vipākaṃ saṃvibhāgassa, yathā hoti mahapphalaṃ.208”
"If beings knew, as said by the Great Sage, the result of sharing and its great fruit,

vineyya maccheramalaṃ, vippasannena cetasā,dajjuṃ kālena ariyesu, yattha dinnaṃ mahapphalaṃ."
having removed the stain of stinginess, with a clear mind, they would give to the noble ones, where the gift yields great fruit.

annañca datvā bahuno, dakkhiṇeyyesu dakkhiṇaṃ,ito cutā manussattā, saggaṃ gacchanti dāyakā."
And having given food and much else as a rightful gift, those humans departed from here, the givers, go to heaven.

te ca saggagatā tattha, modanti kāmakāmino,vipākaṃ saṃvibhāgassa, anubhonti amaccharā"ti.
And those who have gone to heaven, there they rejoice, desiring pleasures, experiencing the result of sharing, without stinginess."

ayampi attho vutto bhagavatā, iti me sutanti. chaṭṭhaṃ.
This meaning too was spoken by the Blessed One; thus have I heard. The sixth (chapter or verse).

2 Likes

Sadhu …

Reading on Dana always make me happy…

In same book I read more …so I want to ask

Is there result of Dana such as

1. we are eating with friends and we offer him some portion or some bits…

2. men earn rightfully and he feeds to his parents, children and wife. But not be able to donate to outside begggers for daily donation. Will he recieve same result as daily donation…

3. house wife who do not earn but cook meal for children and husband. She gave service to them take care of them every day. Again not able to feed daily to poor and needy and to worthy one …
    Will she able to recieve same results??

4. people who pet dog and cats they to feed them daily is that same …

1 Like

There are a few dhamma talks on dāna on my channel.

and this one too.

To understand the latter vid, you might want to also watch the “How I made the decision to become a monk” before it.

The IIT channel has a monk named @Kusaladhamma who is “giving” talks on dāna.

I think there is one more video from him as well.

3 Likes