Is it actually true that only one in a million people are capable of achieving even the first jhana?

I was aware of most of the story already. I just didn’t know that every living being would make it either to the arupa realms or be in hell when the world cycle was destroyed. I always just kinda assumed some wouldn’t make it or wouldn’t be able to cuz they’re animals or pretas at the time or something. And that those still on earth at the time of destruction would simply be reborn in a different world system

1 Like

How interesting. I do recall that verse but that never occurred to me. I guess you are right tho. Just as we can’t imagine the time of metteyya Buddha where ppl live for 80,000 years and there is no disease. I suppose in the distant future we could indeed reach a societial state where nobody is reborn an animal or preta and every being can reach the high brahma realms before the world system is destroyed :thinking:

2 Likes

And this my friend, is why the faithless dvi-pitakans reject the commentaries, even though this quote is from the suttas. :grinning:

1 Like

Ven Paññādīpa posted this on facebook today.
What will happen to all the people before the destruction of the world?

🌍All the people will have to be born in the Brahma planes via the Deva planes before the destruction of the world. Because Kāmāvacara Devas warn one hundred thousand years before that, they do merit and are born in the Deva planes.

They achieve Jhānas there due to their practice of Vāyo kasiņa and are born in the Brahma planes such as Ābhassara, etc. Even the Apāya beings except those who hold wrong view are born in the Deva planes because of Aparāpariya vedanīya kamma (the indefinitely effective kamma which bears fruits from the third life till the last life).

This is true. Why? Because there’s no being who is free from Aparāpariya vedanīya kamma. They also achieve Jhānas likewise there and are born in the Brahma planes. This speech is generally said.

However, some teachers said that the Apāya beings should not be born in the Deva planes owing to their longevity. From their point of view, all the Apāya beings die immediately at the time of the destruction of the world and are born in the Apāya planes in the other universes.

Those who hold wrong view also don’t escape from hell at the time of the destruction of the world, and they’re born in hells in the other universes. Why? Because wrong view prevents freedom from hell.

[Ref; Sāratthadīpanī Țīkā-1:279-280]

2 Likes

Thanks Venerable!

1 Like

Absolutely not true…for enlightenment it may be .(only of enlightenment depends on some karma )…but in case of jhanas… anyone can achieve first 4

1 Like