Garuda aka Supanna: A demigod?

I have read Vidhurapandita Jataka and Pandaraka Jataka, it seems both King of Naga and King of Supanna (or Garuda) can interact with each other face-to-face without violence and hatred, and they both also capable of developing excellent virtues (eg: forbearance and self restraint).

As Naga (mystic dragons) are classified a Catumaharajikā Deva under the command of Virupakkha Devaraja, what about Garudas (Supannas) ? Are they under the command of the Catumaharajikā Kings too? Or they are a separate entity by their own?

I tried to find such info in the Suttas but not much…only noticed that in Mahasamaya Sutta, it was written that Garudas taken refuge in Gotama Buddha.

f5481b1a609210aa1cb27b3b57897e5f They resembled birds of prey a lot…

And are they demigods or belong to Tiracchana (animal) realm ?

Catumaharajikā literally means the four great kings. There are four kings, each ruling a class of devas: one that rules yakkhas, one that rules nagas, one that rules gandhabbas, and one that rules kumbhandas. Ive heard conflicting stories about this, ive once heard that garudas are a type of kumbhanda and thus are under the rule of thier king, and in another ive heard they are not under the jurisdiction of any of the four great kings but are still a type of deva living in that realm or lower.

1 Like

I found some good info from this link:
https://www.palikanon.com/english/pali_names/g/garudaa.htm

It says that Sakka Devaraja appointed them as guards against Asura troops.

To my surprise, one Supanna mentioned in Vidhurapandita Jataka named Son of Vinata, which coincidentally shared the same name as Hindu version of Garuda too.

Sharing pic of my little piece of art token - Thai Garuda pendant.
IMG_20230503_195640

2 Likes

It is stated that the nagas are capable of faith and attendance to Dhamma Sermons (like how the young Naga is faithful to Buddha’s teachings and even ordained as monk, but disrobed later).

Not much records of Supannas or Garudas on how they act the same to the Buddhasasana. So far I know Mahasamaya Sutta spoke about them but not many details.

My little Garuda statue, holding two Nagas:

IMG_20230715_221951