Esoteric Theravada

There is a book called “Esoteric Theravada”, by Kate Crosby, described thusly:

"A groundbreaking exploration of a practice tradition that was nearly lost to history.

Theravada Buddhism, often understood as the school that most carefully preserved the practices taught by the Buddha, has undergone tremendous change over time. Prior to Western colonialism in Asia—which brought Western and modernist intellectual concerns, such as the separation of science and religion, to bear on Buddhism—there existed a tradition of embodied, esoteric, and culturally regional Theravada meditation practices. This once-dominant traditional meditation system, known as borān kammaṭṭhāna , is related to—yet remarkably distinct from—Vipassana and other Buddhist and secular mindfulness practices that would become the hallmark of Theravada Buddhism in the twentieth century. Drawing on a quarter century of research, scholar Kate Crosby offers the first holistic discussion of borān kammaṭṭhāna , illuminating the historical events and cultural processes by which the practice has been marginalized in the modern era."

The author seems to imply that true Theravada meditation and doctrine is some esoteric practice not found in the commentaries, nor Pali Canon, and that this practice was crushed by colonialism. The further implication is, of course, that true Theravada was whatever this esoteric stuff was, and what we have today, that we call Classical Theravada is a fraudulent tradition created by colonialism. Thus, she implies that’s the only reason we hold the commentaries and Visuddhimagga as authoritative, while we should be practicing a pre colonial, culturally regional, esoteric Theravada.

However, the premise is flawed. It’s impossible that what we call Classical Theravada today has only been around for a couple centuries, because what we call Classical Theravada today is completely based on the suttas, Vinaya and Abhidhamma. Even if no one used the commentaries, nor Visuddhimagga, until the last few centuries (which is, of course, false), the Theravada Pali Canon already contains everything in the commentaries and Visuddhimagga, except for a few terms, but the meaning is the same. Not to mention, the commentaries and Visuddhimagga, which, supposedly only became the main focus of Theravada after colonialism, predate colonialism by, oh, what, something in the neighborhood of two thousand years?

Particularly devastating to this author’s position is the Kathavatthu, which is part of the Pali Canon, and is a very clear delineation of Theravada specific doctrinal points, all of which are in perfect agreement with the commentary and Visuddhimagga. So, if some groups calling themselves Theravada didn’t use the commentaries, nor Visuddhimagga at any point, and so their practice and doctrine was totally different from what we know as Theravada today, so much so that their practice was called “culturally regional” and “Esoteric Theravada” that just means that they weren’t in line with the Pali Canon, and what we know as Classical Theravada today is in line with it.

The Buddha’s teachings are not supposed to be changed into regional, esoteric doctrines and practices that dramatically deviate from what he actually taught in the Pali Canon, so much so that they require a different name and delineation from the Theravada school. And, of course, the commentaries and Visuddhimagga were very careful to make sure their practices are directly from the Pali Canon, which is why these practices are not called "culturally regional, nor “Esoteric Theravada”, but, instead, are just known as “Theravada,” or “Classical Theravada.” Only requiring the delineation “Classical Theravada” to differentiate from culturally regional, esoteric versions of Theravada, popping up today, in the form of aberrant versions of the school, bearing little resemblance to the core source doctrine, and pushing ideas like eternal soul, subjective idealism, and Mahayana influenced doctrines cobbled together by modern thinkers, who want so badly to retroactively find that their doctrines are true Buddhism, and that Classical Theravada is the aberrant one.

Luckily, any rational person reading the Pali Canon can see that Classical Theravada is the original school. This is because all the others stick out like sore thumbs, so badly that they have to throw out huge chunks of the Pali Canon itself in order to make their “true Buddhism” compatible with the very texts they consider authoritative.

So, to sum up: Sorry Ms Crosby, but the Theravada is the school that most carefully preserved the practices taught by the Buddha, and it has not undergone tremendous change over time. It has not only come into it’s Classical Theravada form recently, after colonialism. This is nonsense. Some schools have surely been aberrant over the years, and there surely have been some periods where a return to the true teachings has gone on, but the core teachings, doctrines and practices considered Classical Theravada today haven’t changed a bit since the Buddha taught them.

1 Like

Where did she get the information about Theravada?

Ajahn brahm? Ajahn Vimalaramsi? Ajahn Sujato? :joy:

:grinning:

1 Like

Excellent article, Venerable! Thanks for sharing. I love this forum so much. I spent so long on… another forum… that I am always ready to open up my thread and find that it’s swarmed with people stating that I’m completely ignorant of history, and Buddhism, and that whatever non Classical Theravada thing I’ve refuted is actually supreme, or at least equally valid (with hints that it’s a little better). Eventually I will get over this reflexive expectation, but, for now, until that happens, it is always a very nice surprise to be completely mistaken, and reassured again, that I am in the best possible company :slight_smile: :heart:

I know I’m a broken record, but thank you, again, for creating this forum (and, of course, thank you to everyone else involved in creating it!).

1 Like

I think she got her info from the woke school of confirmation bias, specializing in subjectively misinterpreting history to push a narrative.

From Cambodian and Thai monasteries where “borān kammaṭṭhāna” practices are still preserved. She studied in Asia for many years:

See her page on the website of the King’s College London: kcl. ac. uk / people / kate-crosby

I find her research truly valuable, even if I disagree with some of her conclusions.

1 Like

She doesn’t state anything of that sort. IMHO, you have misunderstood what she wrote.

Well, that’s interesting. Thanks for the thought. And a warm welcome to Classical Theravada for someone from Dhammawheel :smiley: :heart:

Let’s look at my understanding of the book, vs what is said in the official publisher summary of the book.

I’ll compare my points to the summary:

1.) I believe the book is saying that Theravada has not preserved the practices taught by the Buddha in a straight line from his time, until today, but, instead, that what we know as “Theravada” has changed a huge amount over time, and that what we have today has only been around since colonialism a few hundred years ago. Further, the implication is that what was previously known as “Theravada” was an esoteric, culturally regional tradition, contrary to the common belief that what we have today, Classical Theravada, practicing the Pali Canon, commentaries and Visuddhimagga have been what “Theravada” has always been.

Theravada Buddhism, often understood as the school that most carefully preserved the practices taught by the Buddha, has undergone tremendous change over time. Prior to Western colonialism in Asia—which brought Western and modernist intellectual concerns, such as the separation of science and religion, to bear on Buddhism—there existed a tradition of embodied, esoteric, and culturally regional Theravada meditation practices.

If the book does not posit that Theravada is a fragmented tradition, which has only come into it’s current state after colonialism, then they sure failed in not saying exactly that in the official publisher’s summary.

2.) This esoteric Buddhism is not found in the Classical Theravada texts, and, despite the modern belief that Classical Theravada was always what Theravada was, she posits that some esoteric Buddhism was the dominant version of “Theravada” before colonialism.

there existed a tradition of embodied, esoteric, and culturally regional Theravada meditation practices. This once-dominant traditional meditation system, known as borān kammaṭṭhāna , is related to—yet remarkably distinct from—Vipassana and other Buddhist and secular mindfulness practices that would become the hallmark of Theravada Buddhism in the twentieth century.

3.) Colonialism crushed some previous version of Theravada, which wasn’t what we have today. What we have today is, of course, Classical Theravada, as described above. The obvious inference, here, is that whatever we have today isn’t truly an unbroken tradition of “Theravada,” going back to the Buddha, and we only believe that it is due to not knowing about the previous version, which was destroyed, wrongfully, by colonialism, causing it to be marginalized in the modern era.

Drawing on a quarter century of research, scholar Kate Crosby offers the first holistic discussion of borān kammaṭṭhāna , illuminating the historical events and cultural processes by which the practice has been marginalized in the modern era.

Seems the book is about exactly what I said it is. Further, I had never heard of this book, but was told about it indirectly via someone trying to convince me Classical Theravada is a very new thing, only coming about after colonialism. I requested a source, and they suggested this book.

I’d be really surprised if this isn’t what the book is saying. Please provide quotes, and I’ll happily admit that the publisher clearly has the wrong description for the book on the page for it. You’ll need to provide quotes that clearly, and unambiguously demonstrate:

1.) The book oes not propose that Classical Theravada, focused on the Pali Canon, Visuddhimagga, and commentaries, which rejects all esoteric teachings and practices, has only been around since colonialism, and instead that the book directly states that what we consider Classical Theravada today has always been around, since the Buddha.

2.) The book presents that the case is not that some other esoteric Theravada was the actual dominant practice, and was previously known as “Theravada”. And, show that the book proposes that Classical Theravada has always been around, since the time of the Buddha, in an unbroken, carefully preserved chain.

3.) The book does not propose that esoteric Theravada was wrongfully crushed by colonialism. And that what we have today did not replace some previous version of esoteric Theravada.

Respectfully, I’m not holding my breath, as I’ve rarely seen a book summary be so incredibly wrong. I’m sure you probably don’t have the time, nor maybe even the book, to provide these quotes, and I understand. But, nonetheless, until you provide proof that my assertions, and thus, the book summary itself, are wrong, or at least, as far as the book summary is concerned, is wildly exaggerated, and, frankly, deliberately misleading for sensationalism, there’s no reason to assume this is true. I’ve also no interest in debating about the book summary itself. In order to prove that such a small amount of text says one thing, as opposed to what it very clearly sounds like it’s saying, we would need to have a great deal of context in the form of direct quotes from the book itself. Otherwise it’s just two opposing opinions about a very terse paragraph. Thus, only the book itself could prove otherwise.

Thank you for the warm welcome!

Well, I also have no interest in debating. Especially since proving that the book does not propose your inferences would be like proving I’m not a camel - quite a useless occupation. And it’s especially nonsensical to discuss the book with someone who has read just the summary.

I think the readers of this thread will see for themselves the huge distance between the book summary and your inferences where suddenly “true Theravada”, “true Buddhism”, “Classical Theravada”, “fragmented tradition”, etc. appear.

Let me recommend everyone to study this book and the story of borān kammaṭṭhāna in general to better understand the history and modernity. The author deeply respects the Pāli Canon and demonstrates deep connections of borān kammaṭṭhāna with the Abhidhamma.

1 Like

Ah, see, I didn’t ask for debate, I asked for you to quote the book sections that say the opposite of what I believe the book says, and, indeed, what the publisher’s summary states openly. That shouldn’t be difficult if the book contains this information.

In other words, you claim I misinterpreted the book. If this is correct, it should be easy to post selections from the book that prove this. Since you can’t, and are instead making the huge request that we all read an entire 320 page book, that I don’t think anyone is really interested in, I suspect you’ve really got no solid case.

So, until you post selections demonstrating that the book isn’t saying what the publisher’s summary says it does, I see no reason anyone should believe that the publisher’s summary isn’t to be taken literally, and at face value.

@Assaji I think the readers of this thread will see for themselves the huge distance between the book summary and your inferences where suddenly “true Theravada”, “true Buddhism”, “Classical Theravada”, “fragmented tradition”, etc. appear.

Let me recommend everyone to study this book and the story of borān kammaṭṭhāna in general to better understand the history and modernity. The author deeply respects the Pāli Canon and demonstrates deep connections of borān kammaṭṭhāna with the Abhidhamma.

I think you’re overestimating the interest in this thread. People here usually don’t care about non Classical Theravada stuff like Esoteric Buddhism, etc. Why would we want to read about Esoteric Buddhism? There is no such meditation as boran kammatthana in any of the Classical Theravada texts (though, I’m sure Ms Crosby has “found” it somewhere in them, using textual gymnastics and the other usual techniques, it is not in there in any plain and simple, direct and honest reading. There is no Visuddhimagga entry titled “Boran Kammatthana” with instructions on how to do it, nor any such thing anywhere else in the Pali Canon, nor traditional commentaries. If there were, it wouldn’t be “esoteric”), and no such thing as Esoteric Buddhism within them, either. A couple of users were polite and kind enough to respond above, but the thread was then dead until you necroposted on it. This isn’t Dhammawheel, so you’re unlikely to have the usual situation where a swarm of EBT/suttanta/whatever Buddhists come to refute anything that rejects those positions, and supports Classical Theravada. Though, more are coming from Dhammawheel, so maybe things are changing?

That said, I’m prepared to be wrong. I’ll happily admit I was wrong if you would be so kind as to post selections from the book demonstrating that what the publisher’s summary says is the opposite of what the book actually contains. Heck, I’ll do you one better: You post those quotes, and convince me that the book is not saying what the summary says, and I will read the book, and discuss it with you. I’ve no interest in reading about an esoteric, culturally regional variant of Theravada not supported by the Visuddhimagga, etc., but, if you proved that this is not what the book is about, the opposite of the publisher’s summary, I’d be interested to read a book about Theravada history.

Sorry, I have no interest to speak with a person who resorts to attacks by speaking falsehoods. First you have groundlessly attacked Kate Crosby, without even reading her works and ascribing to her your inferences. And now you are attacking me. Anyone can see that I replied to the thread in 5 days after the last reply, - while the thread was alive.

Goodbye!

For those interested in what Kate Crosby really proposes, I would recommend her lecture “Nirvana & the New Technologies” available on YouTube.