Do you think it is possible to reach the Pure Land of Amithaba by reciting its name with faith?

Hello,

Do you think it is possible to reach the Pure Land of Amithaba by reciting his name with faith?
Small reminder: for the Mahayana, a Buddha can produce a Pure Land in which he manifests himself under a body (nirmanakaya) to teach the bodhisattvas. The beings living in Pure Land have no negative thoughts, no suffering, awaken very quickly, and cannot fall back into samsara.

I would like to have your opinion because I am interested in what the Theravadin orthodoxy thinks.

Thanks in advance.

I would say No :slight_smile:

2 Likes

No. Because Amitabha is a fictional character.

Just like chanting the name of Optimus Prime and wishing to reborn to Cybertron. Is just impossible.

2 Likes

I’d say no. although reciting or thinking of the Buddha (or any Buddha/arahant) with a mind of faith at the time of death is a pretty good way to ensure rebirth in one of the heavenly realms at the very least, although its not absolute. preferably tusita if you wanted to hear the preachings of bodhisattas like the future maitreya Buddha.

2 Likes

Thank you !