Colophons of Visuddhimagga - Not By Buddhaghosa Thera

Details Supporting Visuddhimagga:
Re: Commentary Review - How did the inconsistencies in the commentaries come about?

Post by Eko Care » Sat Apr 17, 2021 5:26 am

Colophons of Visuddhimagga

Modern critics who attempt to despise the Buddhaghosa Thera, often refer to the epilogue and colophon at the end of the Visuddhimagga.

There is a long sentence which praises Acariya Buddhagosa and Mahavihara at the end of the Visuddhimagga.

Ven. Nanamoli’s Visuddhimagga Tranlation:
[POSTSCRIPT]
This Path of Purification was made by the elder who is adorned with supreme and pure faith, wisdom and energy, in whom are gathered a concourse of upright,gentle, etc., qualities due to the practice of virtue, who is capable of delving into and fathoming the views of his own and others’ creeds, who is possessed of keenness of understanding, who is strong in unerring knowledge of the Master’s Dispensation as divided into three Piþakas with their commentaries, a great expounder, gifted with sweet and noble speech that springs from the ease born of perfection of the vocal instrument, a speaker of what is appropriately said, a superlative speaker, a great poet, an ornament in the lineage of the elders who dwell in the Great Monastery, and who are shining lights in the lineage of elders with unblemished enlightenment in the superhuman states that are embellished with the special qualities of the six kinds of direct-knowledge and the categories of discrimination, who has abundant purified wit, who bears the name Buddhaghosa conferred by the venerable ones, and who should be called “of Morandacetaka.”
And the critics say that “It’s not good to praise oneself like that”.

Next to that, there is a verse which says the author of the verse wish to meet Metteyya Buddha.

Ven. Nanamoli’s Visuddhimagga Tranlation:
[The following verses are only in Sinhalese texts:]
By the performance of such merit
As has been gained by me through this
And any other still in hand
So may I in my next becoming
Behold the joys of Távatiísá,
Glad in the qualities of virtue
And unattached to sense desires.
By having reached the first fruition,
And having in my last life seen
Metteyya, Lord of Sages, Highest
Of persons in the World, and
Helper Delighting in all beings’ welfare,
And heard that Holy One proclaim
The Teaching of the Noble Dhamma,
May I grace the Victor’s Dispensation
By realizing its highest fruit.

And the critics say that “he wished to meet the Metteyya Buddha without believing in Visuddhimagga he himself had written.”

“Even Buddhaghosa did not really believe that Theravada practice could lead to Nirvana.His Visuddhimagga is supposed to be a detailed, step by step guide to enlightenment. And yet in the postscript […] he says he hopes that the merit he has earned by writing the Vishuddhimagga will allow him to be reborn in heaven, abide there until Metteyya (Maitreya) appears, hear his teaching and then attain enlightenment.”
Source: The Broken Buddha, by Ven. S. Dhammika

Ven. Dhammanado:

Ven. Dhammika is making the common mistake of confusing Buddhaghosa’s colophon with that of the scribal copyist. The former dedicates the the merit of composing the Visuddhimagga to the happiness of all beings. It’s the scribe, not Buddhaghosa, who wants to go to heaven and later meet Metteyya.

Ven. Sujato:

In any case, the passage that expresses a wish to be reborn with Metteyya has multiple indications that it is a later addition, probably a scribal remark by a copyist.

It is only found in Sinhalese manuscripts
It doesn’t identify Buddhaghosa at all, merely saying “through the merit I have gained by this”.
It appears after the rather elaborate praise of Buddhaghosa, which itself appears to be a later addition (it’s not good form to praise oneself in this way).
It is right at the end, exactly where a copyist’s scribal mark would be added
This belief is implicitly rejected in the text itself (Vism 1.135)

Venerable Panditha of Burma:

• Those colophons have not come from Acariya Buddhaghosa’s hands.

• Acariya Buddhaghosa wanted to have all the credit transferred to the Mahāvihāra community.

• Those introductions, epilogues, and colophons still have certain aspects not yet sufficiently examined.

• Traditional scholars hardly believe that those colophons are written by Acariya Buddhaghosa.

• All the works of Acariya Buddhaghosa were anonymous at the beginning.

• This anonymity is the reason for someone in posterity to add such colophons in order to save the author’s name.

• The reason for anonymity was to get the works endorsed by the prestige and authority of Mahāvihāra, expecting the longevity of books. If only a less number of people were interested in manually copying his book, it would remain “unpublished".

• In this way, Acariya Buddhaghosa could successfully publish his works inland and internationally.

• This circumstance of Acariya Buddhaghosa can be compared to presidential speech-writers. Although writer’s name is not a secret, no president would acknowledge the writer in the speech itself.

King Parakramabahu (1234 - 1269 CE) says:

"The Epilogue(/colophon) is written by Acariya Buddhagosa’s Student Venerable Buddhamitta.

King Parakramabahu-II of Kingdom of Dambadeniya had written a Sinhala glossary (Sannaya) to Visuddhimagga within 1234 to 1269CE .
It is called Visuddhimárga-mahásannaya or Parákramabáhu-sannaya.

Ven. Nanamoli’s Visuddhimagga Bibliography:

Sinhala: Visuddhimárga-mahásanne, ed. Ratanapala Medhankara et al, 2 vols., Kalutara, 1949. (Also called Parákramabáhu-sannaya. A Pali-Sinhala paraphrase composed by King Pandita Parákramabáhu II in the 13th cent. CE.)

• The king had mentioned the epilogue starting from “This Path of Purification was made by …” an onwards as the addition of venerable Buddhamitta.

• Furthermore the king had stated why the name of Acariya Buddhagosa is mentioned as “who bears the name Buddhaghosa conferred by the venerable ones (“garuhi”=by the teachers/venerable ones” in this epilogue. The king had said this is because the student-monk can’t mention the teacher-monk’s name directly. (A convention practiced by Venerable Ananda towards his teacher Venerable Mahakassapa and said to be practiced by Sri Lankan forest monks even in the present day).

This has embarrassed modern critics who attempt to despise the Buddhaghosa Thera in a petty way.

See:

Colophons of Acariya Buddhaghosa

Vissudhimagga - path of purification review

Buddhagosa Arahanthood

2 Likes

More discussions were continued as follows:

Colophons of Acariya Buddhaghosa

Post by Ceisiwr » Tue Apr 06, 2021 3:03 am
mikenz66 wrote: Tue Apr 06, 2021 2:45 am
I was slightly surprised that Ven Analayo repeated this claim in his new book Superiority Conceit in Buddhist Traditions:

Buddhaghosa also concludes his Visuddhimagga by expressing his own aspiration to be reborn, after a life spent in heaven, at the time of the future Buddha Maitreya (Ñāṇamoli 1991: 743).

I’m surprised too. I thought he would have known better. I guess we all make mistakes.

Vissudhimagga - path of purification review

Post by confusedlayman » Tue Oct 29, 2019 6:43 am

Hey guys, just a wondering question!!!

I am reading visudhimagga and practising it as much as possible and till now I found the book to be accurate. It also contains deep explanination of many things which cleared some of my profound doubts.

It is written so clearly that I thought the author must be enlightened but i came to know he thought merit in writing will be used for rebirth in heaven for him.

If a monk with this much experience itself is not enlightened, i cant imagine it? How can he not be enlightened ?

Post by form » Tue Oct 29, 2019 6:58 am

Some thinks the author is more of a compiler.

Post by Dhammanando » Tue Oct 29, 2019 7:02 am

confusedlayman wrote: Tue Oct 29, 2019 6:43 am
It is written so clearly that I thought the author must be enlightened but i came to know he thought merit in writing will be used for rebirth in heaven for him.

This is often said but it’s a mistaken reading of the text. The Visuddhimagga colophon expressing a wish to be reborn in heaven and to meet the Buddha Metteyya in a future life are not Buddhaghosa’s words but those of his Sinhalese editor. That’s why the passage is found only in Sinhalese editions of the Visuddhimagga, not Burmese or Thai ones.

In the merit-dedication in his own colophon, Buddhaghosa doesn’t wish anything for himself:

After we quoted this stanza,
“When a wise man, established well in virtue,
Develops consciousness and understanding,
Then as a bhikkhu ardent and sagacious
He succeeds in disentangling this tangle”,
we then said:

“My task is now to set out the true sense,
Divided into virtue and the rest,
Of this same verse composed by the Great Sage.
There are here in the Victor’s Dispensation
And who although desiring purity
Have no right knowledge of the sure straight way—
Comprising virtue and the other two,
Right hard to find, that leads to purity—
Who, though they strive, here gain no purity.
To them I shall expound the comforting Path
Of Purification, pure in expositions
Relying on the teaching of the dwellers
In the Great Monastery; let all those
Good men who do desire purity
Listen intently to my exposition.”

Now, at this point that has all been expounded. And herein:
Now, that the exposition as set forth
Is almost free from errors and from flaws
After collating all the expositions
Of all these meanings classed as virtue and so on
Stated in the commentarial system
Of the five Nikāyas—for this reason
Let meditators pure in understanding
Desiring purification duly show
Reverence for this Path of Purification.

What store of merit has been gained by me
Desiring establishment in this Good Dhamma
In doing this, accepting the suggestion
Of the venerable Saṅghapāla,
One born into the line of famous elders
Dwelling within the Great Monastery,
A true Vibhajjavādin, who is wise,
And lives in pure simplicity, devoted
To discipline’s observance, and to practice,
Whose mind the virtuous qualities of patience,
Mildness, loving kindness, and so on, grace—
By the power of that store of merit
May every being prosper happily.

And now just as the Path of Purification,
With eight and fifty recitation sections
In the text, has herewith been completed
Without impediment, so may all those
Who in the world depend on what is good
Glad-hearted soon succeed without delay.

Buddhagosa Arahanthood

Post by karuna_murti » Tue Mar 31, 2009 4:15 pm

Hi Bhante Dhammanando, Hi all,

I was discussing Buddhagosa Arahanthood with my friend. He said that in Visuddhimagga, Bhadantacariya Buddhagosa expressed His aspiration to meet Ariya Metteya, while I remember Bhante Dhammanando once said it is put in Visuddhimagga by those who goes against Buddhagosa.

Can you tell me where the source of what you said, Bhante? Or anyone know where the source is?

If Buddhagosa’s aspiration to meet Ariya Metteya is an addition, how can we say Visuddhimaga is a valid Atthakatha?

Best Regards.

by Dhammanando » Tue Mar 31, 2009 6:00 pm

Hi Karuna,

karuna_murti wrote:
I was discussing Buddhagosa Arahanthood with my friend. He said that in Visuddhimagga, Bhadantacariya Buddhagosa expressed His aspiration to meet Ariya Metteya, while I remember Bhante Dhammanando once said it is put in Visuddhimagga by those who goes against Buddhagosa.

I didn’t say that. I said that the aspiration to meet Metteyya is expressed by some Sinhalese scribe or editor, not by Buddhaghosa himself. That’s why the Metteyya aspiration isn’t found in the Burmese edition and why in the concluding verses the text switches from the first person to the third person.

Buddhaghosa’s aspiration is:

• What store of merit has been gained by me
    Desiring establishment in this Good Dhamma
    In doing this, accepting the suggestion
    Of the venerable Sanghapāla,
    One born into the line of famous elders
    Dwelling within the Mahāvihāra,
    A true Vibhajjavādin, who is wise,
    And lives in pure simplicity, devoted
    To discipline’s observance and to practice,
    Whose mind the virtuous qualities of patience,
    Mildness, lovingkindness, and so on, grace —
    By the power of that store of merit
    May every being prosper happily.
    And now just as the Path of Purification,
    With eight and fifty recitation sections
    In the text, has herewith been completed
    Without impediment, so may all those
    Who in the world depend on what is good
    Glad-hearted soon succeed without delay!

Best wishes,
Dhammanando Bhikkhu

Post by Dhammavamsa » Wed May 26, 2021 12:26 pm

I believe Bhandantacariya Buddhaghosa was at least a Sotapanna.

Because I read the introduction passage in Visuddhimagga by Bhikkhu Nanamoli, stated that:

"From Adhikaram Early History of Buddhism in Ceylon, pp.3 and 86 -

…so he (Buddhaghosa-to-be) took the Going Forth, since he was interested in the system, and he learnt the three Pitakas, after which he believed “This is the only way” (M. i. 55). Because his speech (ghosa) was profound (voice was deep) like that of the Enlightened One (Buddha), they call him Buddhaghosa, so that like the Enlightened One he might be voiced over the surface of the Earth…"

From this we know that Buddhaghosa was a pious Buddhist and established unshakeable confidence towards Dhamma.

But I wouldn’t surprise if Bhandantacariya Buddhaghosa not an Arahant.
As paramitas need to be fulfilled before achieving it, not only in a single lifetime but many (depends on how diligent the practitioner is).

Post by zan » Tue Sep 07, 2021 8:37 pm

Someone needs to update the wikipedia pages on Buddhaghosa and the Visuddhimagga. Both contain this statement which is based on attributing a statement to Buddhaghosa that he apparently didn’t write:

…Buddhaghosa did not believe that following the practice set forth in the Visuddhimagga will really lead him to Nirvana, basing himself on the postscript to the Visuddhimagga:[23]

Even Buddhaghosa did not really believe that Theravada practice could lead to Nirvana. His Visuddhimagga is supposed to be a detailed, step by step guide to enlightenment. And yet in the postscript […] he says he hopes that the merit he has earned by writing the Vishuddhimagga will allow him to be reborn in heaven, abide there until Metteyya (Maitreya) appears, hear his teaching and then attain enlightenment.[23][note 2]

I notated it once but it was flagged “original research?” and then removed, even though I was quoting the print Visuddhimagga. So someone who understands Wikipedia’s rules needs to step up and fix it.

Post by Ontheway » Wed Sep 08, 2021 9:03 pm

In the past, I was also led by a certain monk and Buddhist teacher (during my short time in Samanera program) to believe that Visuddhimagga contain wrong teachings, so even I got the nice hard cover book of Visuddhi Magga, I just put it aside in some unwanted drawer and let it be with dust for many years.

All those years, when I was eager to look for gurus or ajahns, reading this booklet and that booklet, it caused me much confusion and frustration on deep Dhamma teachings. Because one single topic such as Paticca Samuppada, I can find many versions of explanation. When asked which is right, all of them said they are the correct ones.

Then one day, I read the story of Sri Lankan Buddhism history and learn how the lineage of Theravada comes into existence. And once again I read about Mahavihara and Arahant Mahinda Thera, and then Buddhaghosa Thera. There I start pick up my Visuddhimagga and read carefully, while making comparison with Suttanta and Abhidhamma. Till today, Visuddhimagga is been very helpful to me and Bhandatacariya Buddhaghosa Thera really a great monk.

1 Like