Birth place of last 3 Buddhas and coming Metteyya Buddha

I had heard that the last 3 Buddhas were born around Lumbini and so will be the coming Buddha. Can someone confirm that for me please.

1 Like

I will have to check, but I sort of recall in my readings of “Great Chronicles of The Buddha” that the places where events happened with Buddhas were in the same places. But I cannot recall about Birth Places.

Often the Buddha would reflect what previous Buddhas had done.
I definitely remember the story that when the Bodhisatta tossed his bowl in the river on the night he would attain Enlightenment, the bowl floated upstream and then sank to the bottom of the river. There was a “clink” when the bowl hit the bottom because 3 previous bowls were there from previous bodhisattas who made the same determination as well. It woke up the Naga living there and he said, “Oh… has it been that long?”

Bhante
I remember reading that few days ago. I was also curious as where Metteyya Buddha will be born.
Thank you Bhante for all your help :pray:t4::pray:t4::pray:t4:

1 Like

I believe all of the past Buddhas and the future Buddha Metteyya all had the same location of birth, death, where they performed the twin miracle, and where they came down from tavatimsa after spending a vassa there. Might be a few more as well.

1 Like

According to the Cakkavatti Sutta: The Wheel-turning Emperor, Digha Nikaya 26 of the Sutta Pitaka of the Pāli Canon, Maitreya Buddha will be born in a time when humans will live to an age of eighty thousand years, in the city of Ketumatī (present Varanasi),
-Wikipedia on Maitreya

1 Like

Human lifespan of that time will be 100,000 and the Buddha will live 80% of the normal lifespan. Some people will live shorter than normal, some will live longer.

1 Like

I see no mention of “100, 000” years in the sutta I referenced via the Wiki article. It only goes to 80,000:

Because of undertaking this skillful thing, their lifespan and beauty will grow. Those people who live for twenty years will have children who live for forty years. Those people who live for forty years will have children who live for eighty years, then a hundred and sixty years, three hundred and twenty years, six hundred and forty years, 2,000 years, 4,000 years, 8,000 years, 20,000 years, 40,000 years, and finally 80,000 years.
-DN 26

2 Likes

Buddhist tradition has expression of 10 as 10 year, 100 year, 1000 year, etc. It always goes with 1 and 0. We are living 100-year lifespan - meaning some live shorter, some live longer than 100.
Wiki info is incorrect in this case.

2 Likes

This is not wiki, this is the actual sutta:

1 Like

I meant the 80,000 year. Our Buddha Gotama lived 80,000 years that is 80% of normal lifespan. All Buddhas live 80% of normal lifespan. Living older than 80 is considered unproductive, or too old to travel and teach the Dhamma.

1 Like

Even the river where the Bodhisatta floated his bowl upstream was an exact location. His bowl hit the other 3 Bodhisattas’ bowls protected by a nāga . The clink of the bowl woke up the nāga and he said… “Oh… another one has appeared… didn’t seem that long”

This is from the Great Chronicles of the Buddha.

3 Likes

Yes what a superbly fortunate and rare world we live in, where we will have 5 Buddhas in this very world to bless us with the supreme Dhamma. Dont let this life, or even next life (if you live in Metteyya’s era) go to waste. Because we wont have this oppurtunity for quite some time.

5 Likes