Animitta - signless

there is not many information about the animitta development. (named “Signless” or “without object”). It seems this is not part of a Path of cultivation of Jhanas. It is a different training taught by the Buddha.

I have known some people with little knowledge on Buddhism who seem to have a natural predisposition for this type of meditation. Unfortunately, I cannot find more information inside the Theravada sources.

This scholar paper from Peter Harvey is interesting because it shows some sources:

“Signless Meditations in Pali Buddhism”

although no many more things…

This cultivation seems to be similar to some popular practices of Mahayana tradition which are rooted in samatha, like the Tibetan shiné or some Zen meditations.

If somebody knows where to find some guides or more information about the animitta meditation inside the Theravada tradition, please leave here

1 Like

no news?

1 Like

Hi zerotime
There was a post on dsg that had some comments by ven Bodhi

https://groups.io/g/dsg/message/52161

(a) AA “The signless liberation of mind (animittacetovimutti) is strong insight; but the reciters of the Digha Nikaya say that it is the fruition attainment of arahantship, for that is called ‘signless’ because of the absence of the signs of lust, etc., of the signs of forms, etc., and the signs of permanence, etc.”
(b) In MN43 “the signless liberation of mind” is explained in a way that clearly connects it with the fruition of arahantship: there lust, hatred and delusion are declared to be “sign-makers” (nimittakarana), which the arahant has totally abandoned.
(c) Elsewhere, however, a “signless concentration” (animitta-samadhi) is referred to in a context which makes it plain that the one who has attained it is not yet an arahant; see e.g., MN 121, SN 40:9.
(d) The “sign of forms”, etc., is nothing other than the form itself, taken as an object of attachment; see MN 138 and Comy.

2 Likes

Also nina van gorkom:

nina

Ang. Book of Sevens, VII, 53, PTS and footnote to animitta: the dweller in
the signless: sabbanimittaana.m amanasikaaraa (not paying attention to all
nimittas), animitta.m cetosamaadhi.m viharati ( he dwells in concentration
of heart). Co explains: of all nimittas of permanence (niccaa) etc.
elsewhere: of ruupa etc. (the five khandhas). .
elsewhere: raagaadhinimittaabhavena: by the absence of raaga (lobha) etc.
Thus: lobha, dosa, moha.
When we read here about samaadhi, note that in texts about lokuttara citta,
samaadhi can refer to calm of the strength of jhaana also for sukha
vipassaka. And also: samaadhi can refer to samaadhi with frrition
consciousness according to the Co.
When the latter arises defilements have been eradicated by the magga-citta
and there is the highest peace. Samaadhi can mean concentration but it can
also stand for calm.
Ang Book of Sixes, VI, 13: <Suppose he say: “I have made mind-emancipation
(cetovimutti) become by the signless… yet my thoughts run after signs”…
footnote: Comy:< it is so called because the passion, form (ruupa) and
permanence signs become not.>
Middle Length Saying, no 43: the freedom of mind that is signless. Co: phala
samaapatti. The conditions: paying no attention to any signs and paying
attention to the signless realm, and a preceding preparation.
This is for someone who has developed jhana and vipassana.
Footnote: Co: this is nibbaana. <Nimitta and animitta refer (respectively)
to conditioned phenomena and their absence. >
Bhikkhu Bodhi adds in a footnote in the “Root of Existence” (p. 6): Because
these defilements are the real causes for yhe signs the worldling perceives
in things, they are called in the texts signmakers, nimittakara.na.
Buddhist Dictionary Ven. Nyanatiloke mentions: Vis. XXII, among the 18 kinds
of proncipal insight: 11: contemplation of the unconditioned, animitta, 12
of the desirelessness (appa.nihita) 13 of the emptiness (suññattaa).
He also mentions under ceto vimutti, which is in the highest sense the
fruition of arahatship: animitta ceto vimutti: freedom from the conditions
for existence. Thus: freedom from conditioned dhammas.
Nina

3 Likes

thank so much Robert. So it seems those extracts only expand the questions. In some places it appears related with a fruition of arhantship while in others it is developed before.

I was reviewing the B.Bodhi translation and in p.57 pf he writes:

“At the end of 7:56, the Buddha mentions another “seventh person” in place of the faith follower. This type is called “one who dwells in the markless” {animittavihari), a term unexplained in the sutta itself and never taken up for elaboration in the post-canonical Buddhist tradition. The comm entary simply identifies this figure w ith the faith follower, but that may be an attempt to fit unusuaL ideas into the slots of an established system.”

the inclusion into the faith follower path really it seems strange. I have found similarities in some mahayana approaches although I’m not sure until what extent can be related.

Hope Nina and DSG people are well.

thanks again,

2 Likes

here is the related AN 7:56:

[The Blessed One said:] “But, Moggallana, didn’t the brahma Tissa teach you about the seventh person, the one who dwells in the markless?”
“It is the time for this, Blessed One! It is the time for this, Fortunate One! The Blessed One should teach about the seventh person, the one who dwells in the markless. Having heard it from the Blessed One, the bhikkhus will retain it in mind.”

“Then listen, Moggallana, and attend closely. I will speak.” “Yes, Bhante,” the Venerable Mahamoggallana replied. The Blessed One said this:

(7) “Here, Moggallana, through non-attention to all marks, a bhikkhu enters and dwells in the markless mental concentration. Those devas know him thus: 'Through non-attention to all marks, this venerable one enters and dwells in the markless mental concentration. If this venerable one resorts to congenial lodgings, relies on good friends, and harmonizes the spiritual faculties, perhaps he will realize for him self with direct knowledge, in this very life, that unsurpassed consummation of the spiritual life for the sake of which clansmen rightly go forth from the household life into homelessness, [79] and having entered upon, it, dwell in it / It is in this way, too, that those devas know one who has a residue remaining as ‘one with a residue remaining’ and one who has no residue remaining as 'one without residue remaining”

3 Likes

Hi zerotime,

I am in Bangkok now and several dsg members are here too.
All are well :slight_smile:

I don’t have my computer and work off my phone, so am a bit hesitant to comment on that sutta but anyway…
All realities, all khandhas, have a nimitta.
And satipatthana, even vipassana nana, understands to some degree the nimitta of those realities.
The only reality without nimitta is nibbana so my guess about that sutta is that it is referring to nibbana - we see at the end the mention of Nibbāna with residue and without. But this is only a guess.

3 Likes

Middle length sayings
SUTTA 121

1. "Again, Ananda, a bhikkhu - not attending to the perception of the base of nothingness, not attending to the perception
    of the base of neither-perception-nor-non-perception - attends
    to the singleness dependent on the signless concentration of
    mind. 1142 His mind enters into that signless concentration of
    mind and acquires confidence, steadiness, and decision. He
    understand thus: ‘Whatever disturbances there might be
    dependent on the perception of the base of nothingness, those
    are not present here; whatever disturbances there might be
    dependent on the perception of the base of neither-perceptionnor-non-perception, those are not present here. There is present
    only this amount of disturbance, namely, that connected with
    the six bases that are dependent on this body and [108] conditioned by life.’ He understands: ‘This field of perception is void of
    the perception of the base of nothingness; this field of perception
    is void of the perception of the base of neither-perception-nornon-perception. There is present only this non-voidness, namely, that connected with the six bases that are dependent on this
    body and conditioned by life.’ Thus he regards it as void of
    what is not there, but as to what remains there he understands
    that which is present thus: ‘This is present.’ Thus, Ananda, this
    too is his genuine, undistorted, pure descent into voidness.
  2. "Again, Ananda, a bhikkhu - not attending to the perception of the base of nothingness, not attending to the perception
    of the base of neither-perception-nor-non-perception - attends
    to the singleness dependent on the signless concentration of
    mind. His mind enters into that signless concentration of mind
    and acquires confidence, steadiness, and decision. He understands thus: 'This signless concentration of mind is conditioned
    and volitionally produced. But whatever is conditioned and
    volitionally produced is impermanent, subject to cessation.'1143
    When he knows and sees thus, his mind is liberated from the
    taint of sensual desire, from the taint of being, and from the taint
    of ignorance. When it is liberated there comes the knowledge: ‘It
    is liberated.’ He understands: ‘Birth is destroyed, the holy life
    has been lived, what had to be done has been done, there is no
    more coming to any state of being.’

bodhi notes:

1142 Animitta cetosamadhi. MA: This is the concentration of the
mind in insight; it is called “signless” because it is devoid
of the signs of permanence, etc.
1143 See MN 52.4. MA calls this “counter-insight” (pativipassana), i.e., the application of the principles of insight to
the act of consciousness that exercises the function of
insight. On the basis of this he attains arahantship

4 Likes

thank you Robert. :pray:
Btw, it seems that recently B.Analayo published a book about this issue. Hope in some future there will be free access to it

1 Like