AmericanMonk.org: Stay Away From the Fools and Associate with the Wise

Here is a post I wrote on the first verse of the Maṅgala Sutta dealing with only the first two maṅgalas. It is based on the commentaries, with a focus of on the Sattigumba Jātaka (503) referenced by the commentary as well. Lastly, there are two faith building youtube videos referenced, which bring out the modern application of the Sattigumba Jātaka. Enjoy! It is up for discussion below. I’m very happy to have this group to share proper Theravāda Buddhism without people complaining about Jātakas.

4 Likes

Sadhu Sadhu Sadhu, Bhante.

I hope there will be more Sutta + Atthakatha sharing posts here.

2 Likes

In this world, it is impossible to stay away from fools, unless one is a total recluse.

The literal meaning of “sevanā” is to follow, so “asevanā ca bālānaṃ” means “do not follow the foolish,” i.e. do not do what foolish and immoral people do. Stay aloof from wrong-doing, and follow the noble path.

It is difficult not to get caught up in the tangle of arguments about views and opinions. Translation is an art, not a science. The best choice of words depends on context.

3 Likes

Welcome to the group Ven Pesala. There are many topics here. I hope.you can participate.

The post was inspired by my now deceased cousin who had a talking bird and also by the commentary references to sattigumba jātaka. The commentary seems to clarify the stanza as I wrote it. Or… I wrote according the the explanations.

This new website’s creation is also a reflection of this stanza as well… It is my belief that if one spends too much time in other “white-washed” Buddhist groups, his views can also change just like the rotten fish does the kusa grass.

2 Likes

Okasa bhante, Welcome!

I guess you both are friends and just teasing each other.
:slightly_smiling_face:

Vandami.

2 Likes

Yes… I agree totally. That is why we are both monks!
I think that The Buddha encourages those to the highest extremes to be a monk and even higher for total Nibbāna.

Okasa Vandāmi Bhante!
I now see that you are a very senior Bhante!
Again, welcome to classicaltheravada.org

2 Likes

I only looked this very senior monk up just today. I have never conversed with Sayadaw U Pesala before. I’m happy he has joined our group.

3 Likes

Very nice to see you here venerable Pesala.
I hope you will share your wisdom regularly.
with respect
Robert

4 Likes

modern-sattigumba