Abhidhammāvatāra Translation

For those interested there is an ongoing English translation of the Abhidhammāvatāra by Ācariya Buddhadatta available here: ABHIDHAMMĀVATĀRA

6 Likes

Thanks for sharing! What’s interesting about this work?

1 Like

sadhu x 3 for posting this!

3 Likes

It’s one of the “forgotten” texts of Theravāda. What that means is that it fell out of popularity, and so is rarely referred to or translated. It’s interesting because we get to see how another teacher explained the Abhidhamma. The Abhidhamma is of course one, but there are different ways of presenting it. This work is also interesting as it contains some further arguments as to why nibbāna is an existing dhamma. This is touched upon in the Visuddhimagga, but its left out of Ācariya Anuruddha’s Abhidhammattha-saṅgaha. The translation is very early days though by the looks. Just the opening verses and the first chapter so far.

Incidentally, I was made aware of a translation of Ācariya Anuruddha’s Nāmarūpapariccheda. You can find it at the bottom of this paper: https://escholarship.org/content/qt0n79k6fr/qt0n79k6fr_noSplash_10ec574ec5416b3aaf6b12107725a003.pdf

2 Likes

Thanks! Very cool. Could you sum up the argument for nibbana existing?

1 Like

It’s presented in the Visuddhimagga, at the end of the section on the truths.

1 Like

Ah, much appreciated my friend! I’m leaving this forum. Thanks for talking to me :slight_smile: Much metta, see you around dhammawheel. Apologies again for misunderstanding you when you joined here! You’re a very patient, and sharp guy, and I’ve enjoyed talking to you.

2 Likes