Translating Majjhima Nikāya Commentary - call for help

In traditional Buddhist countries such as Sri Lanka and Myanmar, it is common that people exclaim “Buddha-Dhamma-Saṅgha” when they are afraid, shocked, stumble over something, or fail to do or achieve something. This habit is possibly coming from stories like this one about the Brahmin woman. In the Pāḷi Commentaries, there is a story of merchants sailing overseas whose ship was endangered by a whale. The sailors were Buddhists, so when the whale tried to overturn their ship, the merchants were scared and called out Aho gotamo bhagavā. The whale heard it and, as was its habit from a previous life when it practiced with the Buddha-to-be, the hermit Sumedha, respect towards the Buddha arose in its mind, and it died. (Now, after a long time of suffering in hell, it was a whale because, in a previous life, as a man, he associated with a bad friend and killed his mother.) The whale was then born as a human in Sāvatthī, became a monk, and later an Arahant. Apadāna Commentary 49. Paṃsukūlavaggo, v. 171.

2 Likes

thanks that makes it clearer.

1 Like

MN 100 (First half Page 1-24).pdf (739.7 KB)

this is the first 24 pages reformatted. Let me know what you think of the format.

sarah from dsg made some comments:

https://groups.io/g/dsg/message/175260

Thank you for informing me. I have deleted the first two of the three things and edited the third to align with the orthodox nature of the text.

Sarah may like to comment directly inside the Google Doc, so that Robert does not have to inform me. The document is open for all comments, just click and add a comment right in the text.

We have improved the Google Docs version and added the header for every starting section, not just for every new section. In your version I can see that some tables have a header that is not really a header. See here -

The header of the reference would surely be more congruent with the other tables. Please, kindly refer to our Google Docs version for the update.

Thank you so much for your great efforts in preparing this translation into a more eye-candy style. When done, I will (with your permission) ask my donors to print it out and distribute here in Vietnam. :sun_with_face: Your idea is very nice. When you have finished, I can possibly ask my assistants to follow this style in all upcoming translations and later, if we get all 152 sutts translated, distribute them in this unified appearance. :star2:

1 Like

I heard back from professor Alex Wynne. Unfortunately his efforts have stalled as until now he has been unable to secure the funding to work on it.

Crowd funding? Might get a bit raised posting it on here, DW and SC