to passion, not to dispassion;
to being fettered, not to being unfettered;
to accumulating, not to shedding;
to self-aggrandizement, not to modesty;
to discontent, not to contentment;
to entanglement, not to seclusion;
to laziness, not to aroused persistence;
to being burdensome, not to being unburdensome’:

You may categorically hold, ‘This is not the Dhamma, this is not the Vinaya, this is not the Teacher’s instruction.’
“As for the dhammas of which you may know, ‘These dhammas lead—
to dispassion, not to passion;
to being unfettered, not to being fettered;
to shedding, not to accumulating;
to modesty, not to self-aggrandizement;
to contentment, not to discontent;
to seclusion, not to entanglement;
to aroused persistence, not to laziness;
to being unburdensome, not to being burdensome’:

You may categorically hold, ‘This is the Dhamma, this is the Vinaya, this is the Teacher’s instruction.’”
AN 8:53

And it struck me as particularly interesting, especially in the context of being fettered versus unfettered.

This has the potential to be a one question guide to all skillful action: “Does this lead to being fettered or unfettered?” It seems to me that most of the rest of what is mentioned could be collapsed into this one question (or the shedding versus accumulating dichotomy…they seem nearly synonymous).

Am I interpretting the richness of this correctly or is it just referring to the 10 fetters? If it is referring to just the 10 fetters, doesn’t this richness of having a one question guide still apply?

I looked into your question, and have an answer from the commentary works. However, every time we talk you make abundantly clear that your final, unchangeable position is based on something you call “direct seeing,” which is your personal understanding of the dhamma, and is not attested in the Classical Theravada, but rather is diametrically opposed to it, and you will accept no other ideas but this. Do you really want to learn about the Classical Theravada position on the fetters? Or will you cast it aside and declare your “direct seeing” superior, as usual?

If the former, I’ll happily share what I’ve found. If you are finished with your personal take on the dhamma and are here to learn about Classical Theravada I will be thrilled and have a lot to discuss with you. You seem a clever person, and so I’m sure you’ll be able to find a great deal of valuable knowledge in the CT tradition, and it would be great to discuss it with you :slight_smile:.

However if the latter, I’ll pass.

I think that could be a helpful way of looking at it. As far as I’m aware the underlying tendencies and the fetters are essentially the same thing. The underlying tendencies become “activated” when we experience a feeling because of contact. What leads away from being fettered? Virtue, sense-restraint and mastery of the mind coupled with insight.

2 Likes

Virtue, sense-restraint and mastery of the mind coupled with insight.

Seems to work on this general level, but I suspect it works more specifically as well. Does this particular action I’m about to undertake lead to being fettered or unfettered? It seems to suggest a sort of mindfulness practice in itself.

1 Like

I don’t see the value in following me from thread to thread with your specific bone to pick. Do you?

Yes I would agree. It’s also about constantly bearing in mind (sati) the teachings, one’s actions and so forth.

You are on a Classical Theravada forum, so, the question turns on you:

Do you see a point in discussing CT on a CT forum while rejecting CT? Does it make any sense to post on a CT forum, and expect CT people not to ask if you want to discuss CT as opposed to rejecting it?

I’m just offering help with CT if you want to learn it. But if you’re just here to discuss general Buddhism strictly through your “direct seeing” thing, which you believe is superior to even the suttas themselves, no one can help you.

So, which is it? Are you done “direct seeing” and believing your thing is superior to CT? Do you care what the CT tradition says, now? If so, great! I’d love to discuss and learn CT with you :slight_smile:.

Or are you just here to discuss Buddhism strictly through the lens of your thing?

1 Like

kids… please play fair.
Always stand on the higher ground and give the gift of dhamma to those who need it without discrimination.
Shine the dhamma so that it will naturally be embraced.

3 Likes

Thank you Venerable. Perhaps I misunderstand the purpose of this forum? The only reason I am here is because I thought this site was supposed to be a place where personal philosophies and rejection of the CT tradition weren’t allowed. If that’s not the case, I may as well simply apologize to you and everyone here for misunderstanding the FAQ, and go back to dhammawheel.

The user “Philosophy” is doing exactly what the FAQ for this forum, the way I understand it, says not to do. My seemingly incorrect view is: if there are no consequences for breaking the rules, then we are basically back on dhammawheel anyway. Their CT subforum has very similar rules to this forum, but they’re not enforced, there, either. On dhammawheel, like on here, I may post a CT topic, in the CT subforum, and if non CT users want to join in and claim the CT tradition is wrong, and their personal philosophy is correct, there’s nothing I can do about it but argue with them, and demonstrate that they are wrong with quotes from CT, while they smugly declare the CT tradition wrong with impunity. There is no authoritative position, nor authoritative texts, nor interpretations, it’s just anything goes Buddhism, and personal philosophies. This is exactly my experience, with this present issue, here, too.

If this is the case with this forum, it would mean I am wrong, and you are right, of course. I’m not faulting anyone, nor claiming my understanding of the FAQ for this forum, nor dhammmawheel’s rules, is the correct one, since it’s not my forum, and I didn’t write the rules. I’m just trying to understand where everything stands. If I am in fact, wrong, and the FAQ for this forum doesn’t mean non CT positions, refutation of CT, and claiming one’s personal philosophy is superior to CT aren’t allowed, please let me know, and I’ll apologize to everyone, and move on.

This is what I am referencing in the FAQ, and homepage for this forum:

Who Should Join

We are looking for people who are interested in Classical Theravāda who are not afraid of dogmatism as it relates to Classical Theravāda. We are not looking to be convinced about alternate faiths, even those within “The Wide Range of Buddhism”. Please do not publicize this website, but only share by word of mouth. We are refugees from other groups looking to discuss and praise Classical Theravāda. If this group is for you, we welcome you. Please read the FAQ before joining.

FAQ

This website forum was created for those who are in favor of Classical Theravāda which will be known as CT and the members as CT’ers. CT was created for those who seek a supportive environment or safe haven to discuss such topics in English without the entanglements of other “schools” which seem to be the majority in the English Dhamma world.

Who Should Not Join?

If you are not in favor of Classical Theravāda, which means the full Tipitaka including Abhidhamma with the commentary explanations and most of the sub-commentaries, it would be best join another group such as Dhammawheel or Suttacentral.

Disqualification Checklist:

• Are you one who passionately follows other sects of Buddhism?
  • Do you wish to spread these other nonCT teachings here?

What if I’m not a pure orthodox Theravādan?

Some who want to learn CT but not convert are welcome, but “learning” must be the intent rather than “sharing”. It is a one-way experience if you wish to join.

What category on this website can I share about other forms of Buddhism not related to CT?

There is no such category here. CT has no such subgroups by design.

What if someone talks bad about my nonCT group and I want to defend it?

CT is biased and this is not a place for defending nonCT. You would not defend negative Buddhist posts inside a separate online Christian group. The same is true here.

Try to keep it Classical Theravada

While it is allowed to speak negatively about other nonCT groups, too much of this is not good. We might even warn our most devoted CT members about this if it is dragging the group down into negativity. CT’s motto is,

CT has so much wonderful stuff, why do we need to focus on anything else? Talk about what you like and have faith in.

If you want to generate a new topic, just pick a favorite sutta or commentary explanation and say why you like it. Randomly open a book and report on it. Go for it. This is what CT is all about. Post what floats your CT boat and share it with others.

Fairness

We do not need to be fair. However, we will try to be fair to those who belong here. When you join, you recognize this and surrender all personal work/ownership posted here to the public domain which has no rules. If we don’t like a topic, we can shut it down, or even delete it. Your real name can be demanded for future participation but not for others. Membership can be downgraded, limited, suspended, or deleted for any reason in the name of protecting the well being and purpose of this website.

And a few of Philosophy’s posts that seem to me to violate these rules, there are many more, this is just a small selection (DMT is a hardcore hallucinogenic drug being equated with jhana, in the following, if anyone is unaware):

For comparison, dhammawheel’s CT subforum rules:

The Abhidhamma and Classical Theravada sub-forums are specialized venues for the discussion of the Abhidhamma and the classical Mahavihara understanding of the Dhamma. Within these forums the Pali Tipitaka and its commentaries are for discussion purposes treated as authoritative, and the following classification of priority, derived from the tradition itself, is accepted.

1. Sutta: “the well-said” = the three baskets of the Tipiṭaka.
  2. Suttānuloma: “the according with the well-said” = a direct inference from the Tipiṭaka.
  3. Atthakathā: “treatise on the meaning” = an ancient commentary.
  4. Attanomati: “personal opinion” = the expositions and views of later generations of teachers.
    These forums are for the benefit of those members who wish to develop a deeper understanding of these texts and are not for the challenging of the Abhidhamma and/or Theravada commentarial literature.

Posts should, where appropriate, include support from a reference or a citation (Tipitaka, commentarial, or from a later work from an author representative of the Classical point-of-view).

Posts that contain personal opinions and conjecture, points of view arrived at from meditative experiences, conversations with devas, blind faith in the supreme veracity of one’s own teacher’s point of view etc. are all regarded as off-topic, and as such, will be subject to moderator review and/or removal.

And, dhammawheel’s CT subforum is filled with users that have very similar views and post nearly identical ideas as the user called Philosophy does, here.

So, it would seem, I’m the odd man out! I guess I should just accept that general Buddhism and personal philosophies will always trump everything else, regardless of what any rules seem to say. Oh well. Sorry for misunderstanding!

I wish everyone much metta, peace, and enlightenment!

If I’m in violation of the rules, then fine, I’m in violation of the rules. In fact, I’ll apologize in advance as it’s quite likely I am. I’m not coming from a place of being dedicated to CT, I have a very colorful spiritual history (including 5-MeO-DMT use about…6 to 8 years ago, which is not the same as DMT, which I’ve tried to work through where it sends the user and the best I have is that the realm it brings one to is uncannily similar to the descriptions of the arupajhanas), but I am interested in CT and am strongly considering ordination in some tradition or another, even though I have not fully worked out where I will land. I came here through meeting a member outside of this forum and did not initially understand the angle. So I probably have been in violation in some places. I also have some difficulties balancing speaking truthfully with speaking harshly. I’m sorry for all of that.

But understand a great deal of what I’ve said I’ve said in response to you in particular. And man Zans, I am really frustrated with you. I’ve asked to get past this multiple times because this is melodrama and I have no interest in melodrama. I saw that I was contributing to creating melodrama, I shouldn’t be doing that, and so asked to drop it and steer clear of this.

I’ve passed up multiple threads where I could respond to you, including talks about SN 35.23 which seems to strongly challenge your views, challenging interpretations to suttas I think you’re misinterpreting or inserting your views into in a way that’s unjustified, and trying to straighten out how you’ve misunderstood and conflated my views with Nagarjuna.

But nothing seems to land. You seem to have something to work through for yourself and the outward behavior that it’s manifesting as is a fanatical need to prove your view on CT is correct…to the point that you’ve declared disagreement with you to be disagreement with CT itself!

I thought I was safe just avoiding threads you’re active in and starting my own here, as I really just didn’t want to create more melodrama (silence is more skillful than harsh speech), but now you’ve followed me to another thread like an inquisitor. So, I can’t even have a conversation on another topic without this drama dominating the thread. If this is how it’s going to be, I can voluntarily leave the forum and leave it to you, because it seems to mean a lot more to you and because I don’t see my time here being productive if this is going to be the pattern.

As far as direct seeing, I stand by what I said because it’s blatantly obvious. Suttas can be mistranslated, misinterpreted, added later, edited, etc…and the entire point of the suttas is getting you to a point of direct seeing anyways. Directly seeing something for yourself is clearly superior and what we should all be aiming for. On that one particular issue - realism - I’ve seen for myself. There’s few other issues I’ll declare that for. It’s directly accessible to anyone, right now, to know that objects always arise with consciousness (otherwise, where would they arise?), without any meditative attainments necessary. The belief that objects exist in a real world only ever appears as a view in the mind, making it a sankhara.

You’ve already won, mate. Basically, technically, I am correct: you are not supposed to be posting about your direct seeing, your position that you don’t care what any tradition says, etc. here. The FAQ makes this abundantly clear. But, you won before I even challenged you, because the rules are not enforced. So, ultimately, there doesn’t seem to be anything wrong with your posts, and, in an amusing twist of fate, I am the one who is in the wrong for trying to follow the rules, and suggest that you do, too. You won due to lack of enforcement of rules, and a curious probable eventuality, as I’ll detail when I come back to it.

Further, you’ve nothing to challenge me on, here. You have not challenged me, personally, even once. This is because my personal views are almost never posted here. Whenever they are, I always clarify that my views are wrong, because CT is correct, here. This is because I follow the rules. The stuff I post is always positions in agreement with CT, and then quotes from experts to back them up. Many of my personal views do not agree with CT at all, and some not even Buddhism itself. So, anywhere you’re thinking you’ll refute me, you’ll just be refuting CT, ultimately. Even if my inarticulate personal writings on here sound different from CT, that’s just a failing on my part, and why I always defer to expert quotes. In fact, you already have ostensibly challenged me in ways that I, personally, actually agree with you, but I still refuted you on CT terms, because CT does not agree with you. This is the fundamental thing about this site’s rules: technically, CT is always right, no matter what. You seem to think I’m some super hardcore CT guy. Nope, not really, I just follow rules. You know literally nothing about my personal views, you just don’t understand CT, so you mistook it for my views. You are on a CT site, getting frustrated because someone is presenting CT as the authoritative position, and rejecting your position, in favor of experts in the field, and requesting you stick to the CT position. Think about that.

The bitter irony is If I loosen up, and start challenging others on the CT stuff I do not agree with, it would just seem like I’m trolling, and trying to challenge the moderators to enforce their own rules. I would most likely be warned, and then banned, even if I started posting stuff that agrees with exactly what you’ve already posted with impunity. In reality, on free for all Buddhist forums, I say all kinds of stuff that challenges the CT view, I just don’t here, because that’s literally the opposite of why this forum was even created.

This means you’ve won, so completely, that, not only do I have to shut up and leave off correcting you, I can’t even do the same thing as you are doing. You are above the rules, for some reason, and I am not. This means this forum has no value to me, and I’m leaving it completely, unless it changed dramatically. So, congratulations on somehow, inexplicably being right, and winning, even though you’re completely, diametrically opposed to the stated purpose, and rules of the forum, and I’m the one holding them to the letter lol! This is the amusing probable eventuality I mentioned above.

And the biggest irony: I don’t even care about your opinion outside the rules of this forum. If I saw your posts on some general Buddhism forum, I’d just ignore them. People who believe what you do, think they have the exact same unique, deep understanding of reality you do, and so on, are a dime a dozen. CT adherents are extremely rare, at least on forums. For every one CT user I’ve seen online, there are one thousand users like you, and I don’t think that’s an exaggeration; there are countless people who are just general “Buddhists,” and very few CT specific adherents online. Hence, I gave up on arguing personal positions on Buddhism a year or so ago, when I left dhammawheel, in favor of using only this forum, where there is an authoritative position, and authoritative texts, and commentaries to make sure we know how to interpret these texts in an authoritative way.

Finally, you’d get more sympathy about how tiresome this is for you, and how frustrated you are with me, if there wasn’t an “ignore” button on everyone’s user page. You are reading and responding to my replies at your desire. Everyone knows you could simply choose not to even see my posts. And, you started this whole thing by coming onto my thread, which was already concluded with experts on CT quotes that made very clear that CT is realism, and challenged it with your personal philosophy that has zero backing in the CT tradition.

As to frustration: try spending 20 years studying the dhamma, and dealing with hundreds of people who believe CT is not realism, despite it being stated, clearly, and repeatedly, by experts in the field. Yet, every person thinks how they read the texts is the real way, and the experts are ignorant, and beneath their own personal revelation somehow. This is just as ridiculous as someone going to a Yogacara forum and claiming Yogacara is realist materialism, and that they know this because they have some personal revelation of “direct seeing,” so they know the truth of Yogacara, which is superior to expert opinion, and even the tradition itself; I would challenge that just as much! Because both are equally asinine positions, in total contradiction of scholarly consensus, and what the schools own texts say. Call me crazy, but I’m not going to believe random people on the internet over well known experts on a topic, and each schools own stated positions and texts.

Basically, it’s Westerners who simply do not understand the differences between traditions. Few Westerners would walk into a Christian church with some personal ideas about what Jesus is, and try to tell everyone what’s up, because they see that that’s absurd, and it would be a waste of time, because each Church has their own specific, hard and fast, previously agreed upon positions. But, with Buddhism, most Westerners have trouble separating them, and don’t see that the different traditions are as distinct as the different sects of Christianity. I’ve even seen this at Buddhist temples, people just don’t understand.

I’m not even hung up on one tradition, per se. While what I believe is largely compatible with CT, my Buddhism is more of a composite, ultimately, but I do know the differences between schools, and what each believes. It is obnoxious and tiresome to have yet another hippy who thinks they are going to school everyone else on their personal idea of Buddhism, suggest that drugs are the same as some of the highest possible states in the religion, and that whatever their idea is applies to whatever school they say it does, just because they say it does, even if experts disagree.

For me, if I’m at a Zen temple, all is mind, if I’m talking with Theravadins, realism is correct, if I’m at a church, ok, Jesus is awesome. I’m a student of religion, generally, and respect each school’s positions, in the context of their own spaces. The only time I present counter views is in the appropriate place and context, like discussing religion comparatively in a forum designated for that purpose, or discussing with an atheist, or a non Buddhist, or refuting Mahayana in the context of a CT forum, or challenging whatever and mixing and matching in an anything goes Buddhist forum, and so on.

I’m not the one looking to be a contrarian, coming to people with a stated view, in their own space, and presenting my own take on it, and claiming I am correct, and the experts are wrong. That’s you, bud. You’re the frustrating one.

Nonetheless, against all odds, rules, logic and reason, you win. Good job.

Much metta. I hope you ordain, stay sober, reach actual, real, drug free jhana, and reach enlightenment, and know perfect peace and calm! Good luck!

As to this:

I wasn’t delineating the very specific hallucinogen drug you were promoting, my mistake, here’s the correct definition:

5-MeO-DMT or O-methyl-bufotenin is a psychedelic of the tryptamine class. It is found in a wide variety of plant species, and also is secreted by the glands of at least one toad species, the Colorado River toad. Like its close relatives DMT and bufotenin, it has been used as an entheogen in South America.

It’s a close relative of DMT, shares the same name, and, like DMT, is a hallucinogenic drug, but it was important to delineate them, for some reason, glad we got that straightened out.

I don’t want to win. I want to lose everything. And, I know Bhante Subhuti is too nice to just ban me, so I’m going to make it so you win by moderating myself. This place means a lot to you and I don’t want you to lose it.

I actually agree with you that I probably don’t belong here. This forum seems setup for folks that are more…devoted…to a specific path than I am.

So you get to win. I’m going to ban myself for breaking the rules.

1 Like

That’s very kind of you, but unnecessary. Please stay. It’s not you. You are not a problem. I am the problem! This is why I said you won before you even challenged me.

Here is why: There are thousands of Buddhists who believe they have the correct understanding of Buddhism, and that their interpretation of CT is correct, even superior to experts, and CT itself. They will appear here, sooner or later. They will break the rules. There will be no consequences.

Hence, I may as well just leave, and use dhammawheel. On dhammawheel, they have a CT subforum with similar rules to this forum, maybe even more strict, actually (I’ll post their rules below), but they’re not enforced there, either. So, when I used that forum, I couldn’t post in the CT subforum without non CT people constantly promoting their personal interpretations of the dhamma, and there are a LOT more users on dhammawheel, so this happened constantly. It made CT discussion a mess.

This is why I came here, in the first place. I wanted to discuss and promote CT where moderators prevent personal interpretations of the dhamma being promoted as superior to CT, thus, actually doing what dhammawheel’s rules say. But, seeing as this forum is exactly the same as the CT subforum on dhammawheel, I may as well head back, because there I can challenge CT, and support the parts I like, and whatever else I please. Here, I can only praise and support CT, and can’t even discuss other types of Buddhism. Dhammawheel is anything goes Buddhism, they call themselves “Theravada” but most users mix Mahayana and Theravada, and personal views and probably even other religions. Most are oblivious to this fact, and will be offended and defensive if this is pointed out, because they see themselves as strictly Theravada, inexplicably.

Further, I’m basically the Dwight Schrute, from the television show, The Office, of this forum, now: an annoying person always trying to make sure everyone follows rules that no one else cares about. I thought everyone would want the rules followed and they’d be enforced here, and was utterly, embarrassingly wrong.

So, to reiterate: you’re very welcome here! I’m leaving regardless of your presence or not. You’ve done nothing wrong, since the rules do not apply any more here than they do on dhammawheel.

I’ll also apologize for giving you a hard time about breaking the rules, since they’re not relevant. If I knew no one cared about the rules, I wouldn’t have bothered you with them. It was an honest mistake. I didn’t realize the reality of the situation until now: whatever your interpretation of Buddhism is, is correct on this forum, if you say so, and superior to CT and all experts in the field, and there are no consequences for holding this position.

Like I said, previously, I don’t go to general Buddhist forums and hassle people about not being CT lol! I’m not looking to start arguments for no reason. I expected the mods on this forum would step in. Had I known it would just be me arguing with you for days, and then I’d be told that I need to chill out, rather than you being told I’m correct and you need to follow the rules, I wouldn’t have said a word.

In a nutshell: You’re good bro. I’ve no interest in this forum any longer, through no fault of yours whatsoever. No one wants someone like me around anyway: Dwight Schrute is the most annoying person on The Office lol! Your posts are much more pleasant than mine.

I wish you metta, and good luck in life!

For reference, here’s dhammawheel’s CT subforum rules:

The Abhidhamma and Classical Theravada sub-forums are specialized venues for the discussion of the Abhidhamma and the classical Mahavihara understanding of the Dhamma. Within these forums the Pali Tipitaka and its commentaries are for discussion purposes treated as authoritative, and the following classification of priority, derived from the tradition itself, is accepted.

Sutta: “the well-said” = the three baskets of the Tipiṭaka.
Suttānuloma: “the according with the well-said” = a direct inference from the Tipiṭaka.
Atthakathā: “treatise on the meaning” = an ancient commentary.
Attanomati: “personal opinion” = the expositions and views of later generations of teachers.
These forums are for the benefit of those members who wish to develop a deeper understanding of these texts and are not for the challenging of the Abhidhamma and/or Theravada commentarial literature.
Posts should, where appropriate, include support from a reference or a citation (Tipitaka, commentarial, or from a later work from an author representative of the Classical point-of-view).

Posts that contain personal opinions and conjecture, points of view arrived at from meditative experiences, conversations with devas, blind faith in the supreme veracity of one’s own teacher’s point of view etc. are all regarded as off-topic, and as such, will be subject to moderator review and/or removal.