Modern Thai Forest Buddhism may not be Buddhasasana

I think I completely misinterpreted this question. Based on these replies, I wasn’t even asking what they’re answering lol! My mistake! Apologies for my lack of clarity, and failure to properly interpret the question.

I was essentially thinking it meant, and was asking: What existing modern traditions of Buddhism hold the orthodox/classical position of keeping the commentaries, and entire Pali Canon, including the Abhidhamma, as authoritative?

I meant, for example, what are the names of groups, lineages, traditions (I’m not sure what words to use), that hold these as authoritative.

Thus, the EBT stuff is necessarily excluded from even being considered, ditto for all the other modern groups that throw out the commentaries and Abhidhamma.

I was essentially asking what groups are not concerned with these fringe groups, through virtue of accepting the commentaries and Abhidhamma as authoritative.

Agree 100%.

1 Like

I would say almost all existing Theravada schools (including most of Thai forest) take these as authoratative. It would be easier to name the ones who dont: Buddhadasa’s lineage, secular Buddhists, EBT and Suttanta afaik.

1 Like

Thanks. I was under the impression Thai Forest generally doesn’t hold them as authoritative? Is this just an issue with Western Theravada, and in Theravada majority countries they are generally orthodox?

The doubting of the commentaries and certain canonical texts such as the jataka or abhidhamma is a largely modern western phenonenon from my understanding, except for Buddhadasa in Thailand. Western followers of the TFT have sometimes adopted such views and thats why you see such at western Thai forest centers sometimes. AFAIK Thai forest tradition temples that are actually thai culturally and are not western centers that are simply influenced or traced to the TFT lineage do not deny the authority of the theravada canonical texts or commentaries for the most part.

2 Likes