Is the Theravada system one of direct realism?

Ok, for real, last message.

No, you haven’t threatened or made me question what I’m saying. Any time I have doubts about what I’m saying I can sit down, I can shut up, and I can just look at what I see. I see the perceptions, the forms, of a screen and keyboard. Any ideas about them being physical objects in the “real world” appear as ideas. You can’t threaten that except by killing me or knocking me unconscious I guess. There’s nothing to question in direct seeing.

I’m only tired of having this conversation with people, because no one ever understands it. It appears “all over the place” because it’s not familiar to you…because you’re looking to place this into something you already know. I’m not claiming this is unique; I’m claiming that it doesn’t resemble any philosophy you have in your mind. I’m claiming you don’t understand it and I’m not skilled enough to get you to understand it. You have a framework pre-built for this topic and I’m simply not fitting into it. Talking about how life is a dream is just a metaphor that, yes, comes from the Mahayana but that borrowing their metaphor does not make my view the same as their’s. I’m just borrowing their metaphor.

Any time you want to talk Classical Theravada, not refute it , and, not promote your own personal philosophy, but just talk about Classical Theravada, or learn about it, I hope to hear from you again :slight_smile:

Stop with this. I never came here to refute Classical Theravada. You’re making this…political…by creating an image of me as some nasty heretic come here to refute your religion. From what I understand of Abhidhamma, my view is consistent with it. Maybe it’s not, but claiming I came here to refute Classical Theravada is just underhanded.

This is also why I’m really tired of this conversation - you believe your thoughts about me and my views on almost everything, and those thoughts about me are just proliferating like crazy. It’s exhausting.

As to your philosophy, I’ve done all I can, because you sound exactly like I did for 15 years, and I wanted to help you get over that.

Ya, exactly, you have this idea in your head. You’re not responding to me, you’re responding to something in your head that sounds similar. You have come with a preconception of what I’m saying being similar to something you believed in the past and are responding to that. You’re not having a conversation with the person actually present.

So ya, for real, last message. I’m exhausted.

1 Like

You need to reread the main page for this forum:

Who Should Join
We are looking for people who are interested in Classical Theravāda who are not afraid of dogmatism as it relates to Classical Theravāda. We are not looking to be convinced about alternate faiths, even those within “The Wide Range of Buddhism”. Please do not publicize this website, but only share by word of mouth. We are refugees from other groups looking to discuss and praise Classical Theravāda. If this group is for you, we welcome you. Please read the FAQ before joining.

You are doing precisely what this says not to do. Your personal philosophy is an alternate faith within the wide range of Buddhism. It is incompatible with the Classical Theravada, and is not appropriate for you to proselytize on this forum. I was only pointing this out. If this was some general Buddhism forum, you wouldn’t have heard a peep about this from me. I only continued to respond to you after the first time I pointed this out because you reminded me of myself and I felt bad for you.

You seriously need to do some self analysis, and some reading, and learning. Your education on Buddhism is grossly behind your personal interpretations of it, and you’re mixing and mistaking Mahayana Buddhism for your own ideas, which you then seem to think are Theravada.

Further, if you really had no doubts in your personal enlightenment and understanding of your own philosophy, as you seem to imply, you wouldn’t be mixing it with Mahayana Buddhism, denying this, and arguing with morons, like me, on the internet lol!

Seriously though, I say all of this out of compassion. I truly hope you learn more, and I wish you much metta and happiness :slight_smile:

Also read the faq for this forum. You’ve been in violation of the rules this entire time. Again, I was only putting up with it to help you, and that’s after I clearly explained to you the rules of the site, and provided verified evidence as to why your position was against the rules, and that was at the very beginning of our conversation. You chose to ignore it. See below, from the faq, compared to your accusations.

FAQ
This website forum was created for those who are in favor of Classical Theravāda which will be known as CT and the members as CT’ers. CT was created for those who seek a supportive environment or safe haven to discuss such topics in English without the entanglements of other “schools” which seem to be the majority in the English Dhamma world.

Who Should Not Join?
If you are not in favor of Classical Theravāda, which means the full Tipitaka including Abhidhamma with the commentary explanations and most of the sub-commentaries, it would be best join another group such as Dhammawheel or Suttacentral.

Disqualification Checklist:

Are you one who passionately follows other sects of Buddhism?
Do you wish to spread these other nonCT teachings here?
What if I’m not a pure orthodox Theravādan?
Some who want to learn CT but not convert are welcome, but “learning” must be the intent rather than “sharing”. It is a one-way experience if you wish to join.

1 Like

I missed this the first time I read your response. Everything makes sense now. You use hallucinogens. And one of the hardest ones on earth, DMT! Holy crud! That’s why you’re so confused. That’s why no one understands you. Your philosophy is infected by twisted drug experiences, and so what you mean by things you write isn’t how other people understand those same words.

Had I spotted this before I wouldn’t have bothered trying to explain everything to you. Please forget everything I said and go see a sober, clear headed counselor (ie not one who is themselves a drug user nor condones drug use), and never do drugs again. Tell the counselor about your drug use, and all the bizarre ideas you believe you have learned about reality.

Even if you will deny using them, or pretend you were joking, to save face, your post is recommending the use of this hard core drug, as you present it as an equivalent to the arupa jhanas, and even explained ingestion method, specific drug, and dose size to ostensibly achieve the equivalent of arupa jhana. Wildly inappropriate. And laughably false information, no drug can achieve anything remotely like jhana.

5-MeO-DMT or O-methyl-bufotenin is a psychedelic of the tryptamine class. It is found in a wide variety of plant species, and also is secreted by the glands of at least one toad species, the Colorado River toad. Like its close relatives DMT and bufotenin, it has been used as an entheogen in South America.
-Wikipedia

This also explains your inability to separate your concepts, ideas, and thoughts, from raw consciousness. You have completely blended them, and believe them to be the same. If you truly dropped all language and concepts about your ideas, and went drug free, and practiced actual jhana, for a year or more, all of your wrong ideas about reality would evaporate, entirely. You would see that consciousness, alone, has no concepts, and “direct seeing” is a concept that you made up.

“Appear as ideas” This proves my point. I am suggesting you drop all ideas, and you are mistaking the idea of “appear as ideas” for something other than yet another idea. You are not describing dropping all ideas and concepts, you’re describing sitting down and mulling over your ideas and concepts.

This is another perfect demonstration of the fact that you have zero understanding of what raw consciousness is. You clearly blend consciousness with ideas, concepts and such, and falsely believe you’ve thrown out assumptions. In reality, you’re describing the process of being wrapped up in assumptions.

1 Like

From Bhikkhu Bodhi’s introduction to “Abhidhamma
Studies” by Nyanaponika.

Although Ven. Nyanaponika distinguishes between phenomenology and
ontology and assigns the Abhidhamma to the former rather than the
latter, he does so on the assumption that ontology involves the quest
for ‘an essence or ultimate principle, underlying the phenomenal
world’ (p.19) If, however, we understand ontology in a wider sense
> as the philosophical discipline concerned with determining what
> really exists, with discriminating between the real and the apparent,
> then we could justly claim that the Abhidhamma is built upon an
> ontological vision. This vision has been called the dhamma
theory … Unlike the persisting persons and objects of everyday
reality, the dhammas are evanescent occurrences, momentary mental and
physical happenings brought into being through conditions …

Bhikkhu Bodhi:

“Ultimate realities are things that exist by reason
of their own intrinsic nature…These are the dhammas: the final,
irreducible components of existence, the ultimate entities whcih
result from a correctly performed analysis of experience. Such
existents admit of no further reduction but are themseleves the
final terms of analysis, the true constituents of the complex
manifold of existence. Hence the word paramattha is applied to them,
which is derived from parama =ultimate, highest, final, and attha =
reality, thing.”
Bodhi p.25 Comprehensive Manual of Abhidhamma.

1 Like

Samuyutta Nikaya 22:94

And what is it, bhikkhus, that the wise in the world agree upon as
existing, of which I too say that it exists? From that is impermanent,
suffering, and subject to change: this the wise in the world agree upon as
existing, and I too say that it exists. Feeling…Perception…Volitional
Formations…Consciousness that is impermanent, suffering, and subject to
change: this the wise in the world agree upon as existing, and I too say
that it exists.

2 Likes

The All-Embracing Net of Views (pp.324-326):

"CY. (iii) Why is he called the Tathaagata because he has come to
the real characteristics (of dhammas)?

"(The six elements): The earth element has the characteristic of
hardness - that is real, not unreal (tatha.m avitatha.m); the water
element, of flowing; the fire element, of heat; the wind element, of
distending; the space element, of intangibility; the consciousness
element of cognizing.

"(The five aggregates): Material form has the characteristic of
deformation; feeling, of being felt; perception, of perceiving; the
mental formations of forming; consciousness, of cognizing…

"The elements have the characteristic of emptiness; the sense bases,
of actuating; the foundations of mindfulness of awareness; the right
endeavours, of endeavouring; the bases of spiritual success, of
succeeding; the faculties, of predominance; the powers, of unwavering;
the enlightenment factors, of emancipating; the path, of being a cause…

All these characteristics are real, not unreal.
Through the movement
of his faculty of knowledge he has come to the real characteristic (of
all dhammas); he has reached it without falling away from it, fully
arrived at it - therefore he is the Tathaa gata.

"Thence he is the Tathaagata because he has come to the real
characteristic.

2 Likes

Thanks! Great quotes! Who is the author of this book “All Embracing Net of Views”?

1 Like

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://www.bps.lk/olib/bp/bp209s-Bodhi_All-Embracing-Net-Of-Views.pdf&ved=2ahUKEwjN6Kbt9bn8AhV2T6QEHeP4DokQFnoECE8QAQ&usg=AOvVaw1ZksIBx0-jXKTlwCRDpWHX

A great translation by ven. Bodhi.

3 Likes

Thanks! This is a great book! Considering DN 1 is the quintessential work to refute other beliefs, a good modern commentary, that includes the ancient commentary, on it is essential.

1 Like

Dhammasangani

1. What are the dhamma which are not caused by mind? Katame dhammā no cittasamuṭṭhānā?

There is mind and also the Corporeality other than that caused by mind; and there is also the Unconditioned Element (Nibbana).
Cittañca, avasesañca rūpaṃ, asaṅkhatā ca dhātu.

These are the dhamma which are not caused by mind. Ime dhammā no cittasamuṭṭhānā.

2 Likes

Awesome quote! What’s it from? Which translation and who’s commentary?

1 Like

Dhammasaṅgaṇī: Enumeration of the Ultimate Realities , tr U Kyaw Khine

No commentary - it is a quote from Tipitaka.

2 Likes

How is mind not generated by mind? What generates it?

1 Like

Nope. Heres a copy paste of the last time I had to clear this up, lightly edited to make it more applicable here. The previous claim was Theravada is phenomenonism (a form of idealism)so Ive added the word “idealism” here and there for clarity and removed references to the user being responded to:

What emerges from this Abhidhammic doctrine of dhammas
is a critical realism, one which (unlike idealism) recognises
the distinctness of the world from the experiencing subject
yet also distinguishes between those types of entities that
truly exist independently of the cognitive act and those that
owe their being to the act of cognition itself.
-Y. Kunadasa, The Dhamma Theory, page 38

dhamma theory is best described as dhamma realism
-The Theravada Abhidhamma: Inquiry into the Nature of Conditioned Reality
By Y. Karunadasa, chapter 2

This theory ensures that the object of direct and immediate
perception is not an object of mental interpretation but something that is
ultimately real.
-Karunadasa, Y. Buddhist Analysis of Matter, pp. 149.

Thus the Theravādins were able to establish the theory
of direct perception of the external object despite their recognizing the
theory of momentariness.
-Karunadasa, Y. Buddhist Analysis of Matter, page 146

"If we base ourselves on the Pali Nikayas, then we should be compelled to conclude that Buddhism is realistic. There is no explicit denial anywhere of the external world. Nor is there any positive evidence to show that the world is mind-made or simply a projection of subjective thoughts. That Buddhism recognizes the extra-mental existence of matter and the external world is clearly suggested by the texts. Throughout the discourses it is the language of realism that one encounters. The whole Buddhist practical doctrine and discipline, which has the attainment of Nibbana as its final goal, is based on the recognition of the material world and the conscious living beings living therein.
Karunadasa, Y. Buddhist Analysis of Matter, pp. 14, 172

Here is Bhikkhu Bodhi summarizing the abhidhamma position on dhammas:

It is the dhammas alone that possess ultimate reality: determinate existence “from their own side” (sarupato) independent of the minds conceptual processing of the data. Such a conception of the nature of the real seems to be already implicit in the Sutta Pitaka, particularly in the Buddha’s disquisitions on the aggregates, sense bases, elements, dependent arising, etc.,…

Thus by examining the conventional realities with wisdom, we eventually arrive at the objective actualities that lie behind our conceptual constructs. It is these objective actualities – the dhammas, which maintain their intrinsic natures independent of the mind’s constructive functions…

…the commentaries consummate the dhamma theory by supplying the formal definition of dhammas as “things which bear their own intrinsic nature” (attano sabhavam dharenti ti dhamma).

…concretely produced matter…possess intrinsic natures and are thus suitable for contemplation and comprehension by insight.

Great seers who are free from craving declare that Nibbana is an
objective state which is deathless, absolutely endless, unconditioned,
and unsurpassed.
Thus as fourfold the Tathagatas reveal the ultimate realities—
consciousness, mental factors, matter, and Nibbana.
-Bhikkhu Bodhi, Acariya Anuruddha, A Comprehensive Manual of Abhidhamma, pages 3, 15, 26, 235, 260

And here is straight from the abhidhamma:

“All form is that which is…

void of idea,
neither feeling, nor perception, nor synthesis,
disconnected with thought,”
“form exists which is not due to karma having been wrought”

-Dhammasangani 2.2.3

And the Kathavatthu:

Points of Controversy
9.3 Of Matter as Subjective
Controverted Point: Whether matter should be termed subjective or objective.

Theravādin: If that is so, you must also affirm of matter or body, that it has the mental features of “adverting”, ideating, reflecting, co-ordinated application, attending, willing, anticipating, aiming—things which you would, on the contrary, deny of matter.

All, or any of them you can rightly affirm of mental properties, such as contact (mental reaction), feeling, perception, volition, cognition, faith, energy, mindfulness, concentration, understanding, lust, hate, illusion, conceit, erroneous opinion, doubt, mental inertia, distraction, immodesty, indiscretion—all of which you admit as subjective. But matter is not one of these, and therefore such things may not be affirmed of it.

You deny in the case of matter all those mental features—adverting, etc.—but claim for it the term “subjective”, which is really applicable to “contact”, sensation, etc. These, as you admit, do not lack those mental features named.

Uttarāpathaka: But is not matter correlated (as an object)? Of course you assent. Then as correlated it is surely right to apply the term “subjective” to matter, etc. since “object” is one of the twenty-four (causal) relations.

Thus, we can clearly see, Karunadasa confirms, as do the suttas, abhidhamma, etc. that Classical Theravada is a realist system, involving direct realism no less, and that dhammas are mind independent. None of these are anything remotely like, nor compatible with phenomenalism, nor any of the other idealism offshoots.

Compare general objections to phenomenalism:

Criticisms of phenomenalism have tended to be technical. Generally speaking, realists have objected to it on the ground that it is counterintuitive to think of physical objects such as tomatoes as being sets of actual or possible perceptual experiences. Realists argue that one does have such experiences, or under certain circumstances would have them, because there is an object out there that exists independently and is their source. Phenomenalism, they contend, implies that if no perceivers existed, then the world would contain no objects, and that is surely inconsistent both with what ordinary persons believe and with the known scientific fact that all sorts of objects existed in the universe long before there were any perceivers.
-Britannica, Avrum Stroll

And the Buddha himself objecting to the very same ideas that idealists present, and confirming their opposite (objects exist independent of perception):

“If, friends, internally the eye is intact but no external forms come into its range, and there is no corresponding conscious engagement, then there is no manifestation of the corresponding section of consciousness. If internally the eye is intact and external forms come into its range, but there is no corresponding conscious engagement, then there is no manifestation of the corresponding section of consciousness. But when internally the eye is intact and external forms come into its range and there is the corresponding conscious engagement, then there is the manifestation of the corresponding section of consciousness.” “Now there comes a time when the external water element is disturbed. It carries away villages, towns, cities, districts, and countries.”
-MN 28

“Student, suppose there were a man born blind who could not see dark and light forms, who could not see blue, yellow, red, or carmine forms, who could not see what was even and uneven, who could not see the stars or the sun and moon. He might say thus: ‘There are no dark and light forms, and no one who sees dark and light forms; there are no blue, yellow, red, or carmine forms, and no one who sees blue, yellow, red, or carmine forms; there is nothing even and uneven, and no one who sees anything even and uneven; there are no stars and no sun and moon, and no one who sees stars and the sun and moon. I do not know these, I do not see these, therefore these do not exist.’ Speaking thus, student, would he be speaking rightly?”

“No, Master Gotama. There are dark and light forms, and those who see dark and light forms…there are the stars and the sun and moon, and those who see the stars and the sun and moon. Saying, ‘I do not know these, I do not see these, therefore these do not exist,’ he would not be speaking rightly.”

“So too, student, the brahmin Pokkharasāti is blind and visionless.
-MN 99

“And what is it, bhikkhus, that the wise in the world agree upon as existing, of which I too say that it exists? Form that is impermanent, suffering, and subject to change: this the wise in the world agree upon as existing, and I too say that it exists."
-SN 22.94

whether there is an arising of Tathagatas or no arising of Tathagatas, that element still persists, the stableness of the Dhamma, the fixed course of the Dhamma, specific conditionality.
-SN 12.20

. Mind independent matter/form/dhammas cannot be phenomenalism nor idealism.

The dhammas exist even when no one is around to observe them.

For example, per the below, even after a person dies, and consciousness has ceased, their corpse remains as temperature born matter, which can generate all by itself:

But at the time of death, kamma-born material phenomena no
longer arise starting with the stage of presence of the seventeenth
consciousness preceding the death consciousness. Kamma-born
material phenomena that arose earlier occur till the death-moment
and then cease. Following that, the consciousness-born and nutriment-born material phenomena come to cessation. Thereafter,
a continuity of material qualities produced by temperature persists
as long as it can be called a corpse.
-Bodhi, ibid, p 257

Tejo is the element of heat. Cold is also a form of tejo.
Both heat and cold are included in tejo because they possess the power of maturing bodies. Tejo, in other words, is
the vitalizing energy. Preservation and decay are also due
to this element. Unlike the other three essentials of matter,
this element has the power to regenerate matter by itself.
-Narada Thera, A Manual of Abhidhamma p 319

Finally, just to put this nonsense to bed, phenomenalism is a form of idealism, and Buddhism is a form of realism. They are NOT compatible.

Phenomenalism is a form of idealism. Weaker phenomenalism states only that the sense perception can be known to exist, and that it is either meaningless or useless to talk of objects outside of perception. Stronger versions deny that anything exists outside of sense perception.

The dhamma makes it abundantly clear that things absolutely do exist outside of sense perception. This is made undeniably apparent in the quotes above. Thus, the dhamma is realism, not idealism, not phenomenalism, and no amount of the idealist treatment to it can turn it into phenomenalism or whatever your thing is.

It’s not quite direct realism. Colour impinges in the eye base then, after a series of cognitive acts, the mind fashions “a tree”. The tree though is not directly perceived, because it doesn’t really exist. All that exists is the colour (and heat etc etc). CT teaches it’s possible to arrive at an awareness of such realities, but for most people they operate in a world of concepts. In not real things like cars, or people or houses. Even with the ultimate realities you are only aware of their reflection in the mind, so it’s a system of indirect realism at best. If you want a more direct realism, that would be Sarvastivada. Their theory of cognition differs from the Theravadin one.

You are an idealist/antirealist/extreme skeptic Madhyamaka-yogacara person who believes that science proves nothing.

Your opinion, by your own logic, is invalid. If we must believe your positions, you don’t exist and nothing can be proven in the first place lol! So, certainly no one should take your opinion over Karunadasa.

What I said is the CT position. Trees don’t really exist. What really exists is colour etc. Colour impinges on the eye base and then a series of mental moments proceed which reproduce the colour mentally. It’s not until we get to the mind that recognition, and so true cognition occurs.

Arahants can see directly the mind independent paramattha dhammas, which exist beyond pannatti. This is direct realism. This is what Karunadasa correctly pointed out.

And, until you agree that you yourself objectively exist outside of my mind Ive no reason to take you seriously.

Yes, but they are only aware of the mental representation of them at the stage of recognition. This is a few mental moments after the initial sense door consciousness, where there is no recognition. Without recognition, it’s not truly cognised.

There is also no need to be so hostile towards me.

From “A Comprehensive Manual of the Abhidhamma”
IMG_5102

1 Like