Atthasalini Passage

I’m having trouble understanding this passage in the Atthasalini. Could someone explain what is meant? Thanks

A whole page is not a passage.

The paragraph beginning with “ignorance” can be excluded, so I’m referencing the previous passage. Apologies for not making that clear. Nit-picking aside, do you have any views on the text in question?

This is typical of the commentaries where a single term (name) is defined as different things, in this case

1. The four aggregates are name-making because they can only be perceived by the 6th sense or the mind (due to lack of form), and the mind depends on name to identify things, whereas rupa can be identified by the five senses
  2. The four aggregates are name as in bending towards on object, for example when one see something, perception, feeling, consciousness, and mental formations all bend towards that sight object
1 Like

While we can handle photos, it is best long term to have the text for such “passages”. It makes it searchable, for Google and it is also lighter on our very minimal server (called a droplet)

If you can’t find the text the next best thing is to upload to archive.org and then link to that picture as a remote image… Google how to post remote network image in markup language.

Remote images are lighter for our server. Long term, it can keep us lean and lower effort for backups to amazon s3 buckets. Do S3 Amazon buckets sound confusing? That is why we want light posts. Feel free to send me the text and I will edit.for you.

1 Like

I’ll type out the passage in full sometime this week Bhante, and then will delete the picture.