Any advice for someone who gets hung up on philosophical questions to the point that they drift toward Ajnana, and away from Buddhism?

Not my quote, you’re arguing with someone many say was an enlightened master at this point, because that’s a Mahasi Sayadaw quote. Please read his entire work “On the Nature of Nibbana.” You will almost definitely develop a correct understanding of nibbana through this. It is available online for free in several places. I think Venerable @BhikkhuPesala has it on his site.

Seems this topic got totally off track. So I’ll just cap it up by supplying the common solution:

Ajnana is self refuting. If one should not believe anything, then one should not believe that one should not believe anything, either. This would mean it makes just as much sense to believe something, as to believe nothing. And on down the many other pitfalls and incoherencies that follow from such thought processes as the Ajnana maintain.

There are some facts that are unavoidable, and the Buddha illuminated them for us. Even if one held that they were an Ajnana, and so denied certain things, those things are unswervingly true as pointed out in the suttas.

In other words, one may put their head in the sand, but that doesn’t mean the sky is not there.

1 Like