Abhidhamma - word of Buddha?

If you don’t even believe in the Buddha, why the hell are you even here?

I don’t’ think the user “philosophy” will be coming back. He was supposed to help me on some project and also expressed an interest in ordaining. I shared this resource with him… but it is good we had this discussion here.

Bhante, is there any resources where I can read the Abhidhamma fully translated into English?

It would be very beneficial for me.

May all beings escape the fish net.

What is the main problem the Abhidhamma came to solve according to the fundamentalists of the Abhidhamma tradition?

The problem is samsara vatta, the beginningless round of birth and death.

And without sufficient understanding of the khandhas, the ayatanas, the dhatus, the truths and dependent origination no insight into this problem, let alone the solution, is possible. As with profound suttas in the Nikayas, the Abhidhamma elucidates and shines a light onto nature, onto life, so that what was once seen as lasting, what was once seen as under control, seen as self, is understood as empty and momentary. Without any core, alien.

Hence the profound Abhidhamma, the amazing product of the great Buddha, is well deserving of the millenia of respect that followers of the Dhamma have given it.

VISUDDHIMAGGA XVI 85
As long as a man is vague about the world,
About its origin, about its ceasing,
About the means that lead to its cessation,
So long he cannot recognize the truths

1 Like